Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about seasonal sun changes

Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 10:35

I have mature fir tree planted near the north west side of my house. In Idaho that means that the shade (in spring) covers an area that is 20' wide and stretches 50' to the north of the tree then slowly shrinks to 20' wide to 25 feet to the north. Then slowly starts stretching out again.
So far I have considered that my shade garden is 20 X 20 and planted the remaining flowerbed in flowers for sun. The flowers closer to the shade bed are not doing as well so do I need to plant part-sun plants there? What kind of plants will grow best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about seasonal sun changes

I guess I should have just said is that I'm trying to find perennials that can be planted in either part-shade...4 hours of morning sun....or full sun. The Lady Mantle, iris, and tall sedum do well but I'd like to find one or two different plants for variety..

o
RE: Questions about seasonal sun changes

Candytuft, columbine, coreopsis, digitalis, coral bells, tiarella, lobeia (great blue or cardinalis), Jacob's ladder, primrose, astilbe, dicentra eximia .... oh, so many, check out the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Gardening searchable plant database

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here