Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NATIVE tall pink phlox???

Posted by DesperationFalls z5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 12:05

Do any of you know where to find/buy those wonderful late summer blooming tall pink phlox which grow in the dappled shade-shade of the woodlands (seen them in Maine, Indiana, Penna, Missouri?) they are essentially wild phlox--I want
them to cover a bank in my yard. What other tall phlox
found in catalogs might be almost as good?
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NATIVE tall pink phlox???

Here is one link to give you an idea of what to search for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native phlox

o

imo, i don't believe that is native phlox. isn't it one of those that escaped cultivation.

by all means correct me if i am wrong! i just had to put inmy 2 cents.

o

I find this phlox in undeveloped areas on native plant rescues. It is much meeker looking than the pictures, the leaves are skinny and the blooms smaller. I'm sure these guys use the best picture they have.

According to Newcomb's, cultivated phlox paniculata has escaped cultivated in New England. However, I do believe phlox paniculata is native to the US originally.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA site

o

hmmm, interesting! whenever my field guides call something "garden" or states "escaped from cultivation" i assume it isn't native or it is a cultivar or variety from the native.

i need to stop assuming! :)

o

Wish I had come here sooner....I know what you're talking about and have some (courtesy of a fellow gardener). I'm sure that I could share a bit if you're interested - I'm on the south shore. Send me an email

o

Although it's long past the post, the original note "dappled shade/shade in woodlands" makes me wonder if this isn't dame's rocket, Hesperis matronalis, which is European and becoming invasive in a number of states. It's often sold as "wild phlox" although it's actually in the mustard family. Double check to see if it has 4 "petals" or 5. Five = phlox 4 = dame's rocket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here