Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much shade do shade plants need?

Posted by AptosCA US9/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 1, 05 at 12:30

I am redoing a planting area out front that gets at most in the middle of summer 3.5 hours of sun from 9:30 - noon. In the winter it doesn't even get that much.
It is shaded by the neighboor's large redwoods and because of the angle of sun it takes that long to get over the tops. Then it is shaded by the house.
Is that too much sun for shade loving plants? Are there some shade loving plants that can take that much? What perennial plants would grow there but also grow low, less then 3 ft, and not very wide because it is by a walkway?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much shade do shade plants need?

Dear ApostCA,
Morning sun is better than afternoon and 3.5 should be okay. The other thing that I would think about is how direct the sun is since you are zone 9. Our sun here can be very direct (due to altitude). So, far though the shade plants are doing okay with what they have. Hostas are good ones for your situation because they will grow in whatever light, unless they get too much burning sun. One lady said that for the first year she grew them in sun so they would get big and then moved them later.

Istanbuljoy

o

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how direct the sun is. It feels pretty hot this time of year when you stand in it. We also gets lots of morning fog so sometimes it gets no sun at all.
Funny how time changes things. We have been here over 19 years and when we first moved here that area got sun almost all day. That was before the trees got so big! Gardening is an ever evolving thing.

o

I would only add that it all depends on the plant and the amount of water they get. Hosta sounds perfect for you. Some may not flower if there is too much shade. Some take more sun well if watered liberally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here