Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A shade perennial that looks like Caladiums?

Posted by cheeseliz TN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 13:07

I hope someone can help me - A while back, I saw a deep shade perennial at my local Lowes garden center that looked like a white caladium, but the rep said it was a perennial that required deep shade. That's perfect for me! However, I wasn't ready to buy and plant that area at the time, and now that I am, I can't find it - nor can I remember the name! Can anyone help me id this plant and/or offer feedback? I live in east Tenessee, the TriCities area. I'm very new to gardening - particularly shade gardening! So far, all my backyard has is rhodies (for the last owner) and hostas I planted this spring!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A shade perennial that looks like Caladiums?

Might it be Brunnera macrophylla? There are numerous cultivars on the market, including 'Jack Frost' and 'Looking Glass', that bear a strong resemblance to a white leafed caladium. Will tolerate but doesn't require deep shade. In fact, deep shade may retard flowering as it will with many other shade tolerant plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brunnera 'Looking Glass'

o

Thank you! Yes, that looks like it! I think it was the Jack Frost variety I saw at Lowes, but the others are just as interesting. At least now I know what to ask for or google for planting later this year. Do you have any experience or tips to share regarding with this plant?

Thank you!

o

Bunnies like it, too! Ate mine to the nubs, actually, 3 of them, but 1 is making a comeback. Two are completely gone, unfortunately. So if you have bunnies in your neighborhood, beware ... It is so beautiful when growing unmolestedly (is that a word?), hopefully you'll have better luck.
Aunt Peach in Elgin, IL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here