Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mickleson

Questions re: planting under black walnut...

Karen Mickleson
18 years ago

I think someone named Walnut Grove hangs out here, & may be able to help, along with others, with my questions. I'm having a shed built under the high canopy of a black walnut, and am in planning-research process for a shade garden to surround it. I know there are many resource lists of plants which can grow under the tree. I expect I'll do a mix of containers & in-ground plantings.

1. what's the root system of BW's like? Shallow? Deep? Dense?

2. how far out from the base of the tree trunk must I measure before beginning plantings..and/or adding good soil on top to form elevated planting berms? One book says at least 8', which seems a bit much. What are the pros & cons of starting further out vs nearer in?

3. if planting in ground, presumably between & among roots, what should I know when creating planting 'pockets'? There must be issues re: competition between the tree roots & whatever I plant, irrigation, etc. I'd be putting good soil into such pockets. Any tips?

4. anyone grown shade-tolerant clumping bamboos under a BW? [This ones trunk is backed up along a very long redwood fence & I'd like to plant some 6-8' clumping bamboos along the fence on either side of the trunk.]

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (9)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

Walnuts are said to emit a few toxic materials into the soil and several kinds of plants do not seem to grow good there. I also have heard that the leaves should be removed from the area in fall to prevent further soil poisoning.

That said, I have a garden of hosta, and woodland plants (mainly solomon's seal) growing right up to the base of a medium sized walnut, and they are very happy and vigorous there. Thus, it would seem, that selection of the proper plants should allow you to put a good garde there.

George

• walnutgrove
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Haven't been around much so just saw your post. I have 12 blackwalnut trees and plant right up next to them with no problems at all. I attempt to avoid the roots some, but they are easy to plant in and around. Probably the biggest thing is root competiton for water, but even then my plants have done well, even in times when I haven't been so faithful with watering. The roots are not terribly bulky , but somewhat shallow so even planting out away from the tree you will run into a root or two and may have to adjust your planting by moving your plant over slightly. But not usally a big deal.( Nothing like Maple tree roots)
    I ammend my soil right to the base of the tree
    I find most of the plants that thrive in the shade or woodland garden do well under the BWT. The one thing that I would like to grow but won't thrive is azaela/Rhododedrons. I have had good success with hostas, huecheras,Tiarellas,bleedinghearts,lilies,daylilies,Astilbes,ferns, lady's mantle and many more. Most annuals and bulbs do well also.The plants love the dappled shade the high canopy of the BTW provides. Japenese maples do great.Never attempted bamboo so I can't comment on that. Here is a link to one resource regarding juglone toxicity and compatable plants. Hope this helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Black walnut trees/juglone toxicity

• Karen Mickleson
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi, WalnutGrove--

Thanks so much for responding. It's helpful to hear that I can plant in pockets up to the tree base--and knowing about azaleas helps too. I'll copy & store this post & the link in my files.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind if, in the future, when I get to actually planting this area, I might email you privately with particular questions which arise? Let me know if this would be an imposition.

Thanks again,
    Karen

• walnutgrove
    18 years ago

Hi Karen,
    Feel free to send me an e-mail. I just updated my address so it is the correct one. I would be glad to offer any help, however I see you are in zone 9 so there probably are many differeces in what grows well in your zone versus mine. But I would love to hear how your project develops.
    Walnut

• dirty_knees_il
    18 years ago

I used the list at this website when I planted under a BW. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html It was very helpful before investing in plants that won't work. Some plants won't even grow within 50 ft. of the drip line. Hope this helps. coya

• rpglickstein_comcast_net
    15 years ago

I have BW growing in corner of yard where I am trying to plant a cutting garden (poor choice of location, but it's the only spot I have). I have seen the lists of plants that will grow under/near BW and almost all lists say Rose of Sharon does fine near BW. I have planted several Rose of Sharons as the border of my garden (so maybe 15-25 ft away from trunk of BW) and they seem to grow and leaf well, they even get lots of gorgeous buds, but then the buds will not open fully. Does this have to do with the BW, or do I have other issues? Any help would be appreciated!!!

P.S. Azaleas definitely do not like BW - transplabnted an Azalea too close to the BW and it died very quickly :(

• wiley0
    15 years ago

For anyone else with this problem, try this:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page43.html

• sophie12
    15 years ago

Hey Karen----have naked lady lilies, hosta, primrose, daffodils, and peonies all growing under a black walnut, oh, and a rose bush also===all been there for years, the BW tree is now 35 years old. Scary thought---I, well a furry tailed rat, planted it for me and I've taken care of it for 35 yrs. This is all on the edge of the vegetable garden.

• Carey Nelson
    4 years ago

I have a very old black walnut tree that as soon as it leafs out the leaves start dropping, It is June and actually looks like it should be the end of September because of the leaf drop. This is an ongoing problem. My yard never looks nice because of the constant dropping of leaves. Does anyone have a solution for me or this same problem. Love to hear from you.

Sponsored