Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcarsone

Brunnera 'Jack Frost'

rcarsone
19 years ago

Hello all - Is anyone out there growing Brunnera 'Jack Frost'? Is it fairly easy to grow and care for? I have a ton of shade and am looking for a Hosta alternative. (Don't tell anyone from the Hosta forum that I said that.) Can you recommend a good mail order source to get Jack. Thanks.

Comments (32)

• JackieSue
    19 years ago

I put my first brunnera 'Jack Frost' In last year. I always try one plant to see if I like it and it likes me. What a great addition to the spring garden! The blue flowers just float above the foliage. So I purchsed more this summer. One is having a little problem of black spots. I will make sure its leaves go in the fall just in case this is some infectious thing. I purchased mine at a farmer's market and at a nursery. They seem to be a little pricey -- probably because it is new? Rabbit and deer proof!! Does not mind my clay soil, but does get thirsty the first summer of planting. Just a great addition to your garden, I think!

• kareen
    19 years ago

Mine too went in last year, a small plant received in a trade. It has done wonderfully well and I would highly recommend it . It has color interest throughout the season even when the blooms are gone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pond and gardens

• rcarsone
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Is the correct pronounciation of this "brew-nair-a"? I've been to two local nurseries and they looked at me like I was whacked. I then asked for 'Jack Frost', thinking that might ring a bell, but still blank stares. You mean 'Jack in the Pulpit?' the one lady asked. Ugh!

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

I have 3 -- planted last year (hmm, I think we have a trend). They are terrific. The blue flowers in the spring are nice, but really it is the foliage that makes it a winner... great silver color and neat heart-shaped leaf. Nice habit, too... sort of a rounded clump.

Mine are just in front of some hellbores, and I think the combo looks very nice.

As for the pronounciation, I say "brew-nair-a" (mostly just to myself, actually... anyone else would look at me like I was whacked). But I don't know if that is correct. 'Siberian Bugloss' is a common name for the species.

I've seen them be quite pricey at some online sites, but I ordered from ForestFarm (my favorite anyway) for a pretty reasonable fee (as I remember).

• green_frog
    19 years ago

Hi! mine is on the way...it's coming from BUSSE GARDENS in MN. They've been helping along my hosta habit. (ahem!) It looks BEAUTIFUL and now there's a sport of it called "looking glass" which I just had to have. they say (BG) that AM sun, and then dappled shade in the PM is the best habit for JF and this new sport. can't wait to see how it does in the shade garden. you can check em' out on line, too...bussegardens.com.

:))

• jpm38138
    19 years ago

I have had the luck to find the Brunnera in TN and thanks to a wandering four legged something(raccoon I believe) some of the plant was damaged enough that I removed the leaves...leaving a half dozen or so. However, it is September and it appears the plant is tiring. Is this normal? Unfortunately for me I got it after any flowering so have not had the pleasure to see it. My question..does it need any particular protection for winter? Thanks y'all.

• GeeDavey
    19 years ago

I have three and they have been champs all season long in medium shade. Bright, clean leaves, good texture. I love this plant.

• lakelady
    19 years ago

I bought one last year(after flowering time). Grew nice, then winter hit. Never saw it again!

• stacyp9
    19 years ago

My two year old Jack Frost still looks fantastic despite a month long drought. The flowers of this plant glow in the spring and are very pretty. Almost as nice as its leaves. :) I can't wait to divide mine in the spring!

• propguy
    19 years ago

According to Fine Gardening, it's pronounced brun-ERR-ah but I guess to each, his own. I have several 'Jack Frost' plants and they're very easy to grow here in the PNW. I plan to divide mine next spring to fill in another shade area that I have. I wasn't aware that they're deer resistant so that'll be perfect since my hostas are either attacked by the deer or the slugs!

• ninamarie
    19 years ago

A seriously yummy plant. Expensive, but worth the money, I think. It's hardy here without mulching, so I'm very surprised yours did not overwinter Lakelady.
    Even nicer (and pricier) is Brunnera 'Looking Glass'. It's an all silver sport of 'Jack Frost' and exceptionally beautiful. Mine has been in the garden since spring and I am thrilled by its appearance and growth rate. Really shines in a dark place.
    I'm also fond of the straight species and Brunnera macrophylla 'variegata'. 'Variegata' displays as well as any hosta I have.

• chevy57
    19 years ago

Check out:
    variegatedfoliage.com

They may have what you are looking for.

• sonny300
    19 years ago

Here on Vancouver Island I noticed that my Jack Frost is just coming up now.. So, maybe there is hope for Lakelady..

• Poochella
    19 years ago

Here, quite south of Vancouver Island and east of Seattle, my Jack Frost is blooming already! A lovely plant all the way around: foliage, blooms and growth habit. Well worth the cost.

Poochella-- who will forget she posted here, but just flying through on my way to bed!

• duane456
    19 years ago

propguy---wouldn't want to trade that brunnera you are going to split for a variegated loosestrife 'Alexander' ?

• GeeDavey
    19 years ago

I lost one of three in a medium winter.

• ChlorophyllJill
    19 years ago

I just bought this and I think it's lovely! Just put it in the ground today. The leaves are gorgeous, and the flowers are so pretty! Just like Forget-Me-Nots!

• lisazone6_ma
    19 years ago

I have the plain variety, Jack Frost, Variegata, and Langtrees and all are up, growing and already flowering! I plan on adding more scattered here and there around the shady areas of my gardens. They are just a great plant, altho Variegata tends to burn up with too much sun, it is beautiful in the right spot. The plain variety does well even in my dry shade under a maple. Jack Frost is just a winner all around. I saw Looking Glass, but I actually like the green veins in Jack Frost better - I think it adds some extra interest to the plant and makes the silver pop even more in comparison. Brunnera is one plant that looks great before, during, and after flowering!

Lisa

• karen_mcgaffney
    19 years ago

I live in Ohio..I actually got baby jack frost plants popping up here and there in the garden!!!!!I started dwith 3 parent plants..Mine do very well,...Mine gets morning sun and is in my garden with hosta, pulmonaria, virginia bluebells and bleeding hearts and other flowering shade plants and also grape hyacinths..a real winner..It also grows into a nice clump

• TaraRose
    19 years ago

If anyone's interested, Wayside Gardens has "Looking Glass" on sale for $12.95 right now. I've been dying to get a brunnera, and that's the best price I've found for it, so I ordered one.

(And I have no connection with Wayside, I'm just a bargain-hunter.)

Tea Rose

• linrose
    18 years ago

Garden Crossings has 'Jack Frost' on sale for $11.16 and 'Looking Glass' for $12.76 until June 12. Two quart pots. I ordered from them this spring and am very impressed with the quality and price on harder to find plants. I got three 'Jack Frost' with that order and they are fantastic. I have them in with my hostas, purple heucheras (Palace Purple, Frosted Violet and Plum Pudding), Heucherella 'Stoplight', hakone grass, various astilbes and ferns.

• rcarsone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Does Garden Crossings have a website?

• linrose
    18 years ago
  • rcarsone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. Very nice site. I hope their plants look as good as the pictures do.

• linrose
    18 years ago

Yes, they do. They are reputable nurserymen - associated with the venerable Walter's Gardens which does wholesale only.

• the_mikado
    17 years ago

I'm behind the game, here, but my "Jack Frost" comes up annually in a very dry, full-shade woodland garden in Huntsville. It is BEAUTIFUL this year.

It thrives a few inches away from where my "Looking Glass" died. Go figure.

• User
    17 years ago

I am so excited and can't wait to get a brunnera! I had always, for some unknown reason, thought it was a finicky, picky little plant that would melt in our humidity. They are such beautiful plants, and I am just starting my woodland garden. It will definitely be among the things I plant!

• susanhb
    16 years ago

I am in love with brunnera, and I've got it planted all over my very shady, woodsy property. I got it from my cousin Dale, who is a perennial plant grower (he pronounces it "BRUN-ner-ah"), so the family discount was sizable. But I'd pay almost any price for this gorgeous plant. I planted just little tiny clumps in the fall, and they're all happy, healthy, and huge this spring. I have some great photos, but I haven't figured out how to post pictures. Can anybody help me with that?

• newskye
    16 years ago

Anyone know how to propagate this? Is it like heuchera? I'm trying to root a cutting now... not sure if it's working but it definitely looks less wilty now than it did a few days ago.

• jant
    16 years ago

I lost all of mine this past winter....3 Jack Frosts and a Looking Glass that had been in for 3 years! I was shocked as they seemed like such hardy, easy perennials. I wouldn't say we had a bear of a winter and it's a z3 plant and we're z6 bordering 7. They were in different locations too.....very strange.

• entling
    16 years ago

Jant - sorry about your Brunneras. Did you do anything different with them last fall/winter? Did you mulch them over the winter? That is very weird. The April cold snap zapped only 1 of mine (a Hadspen Cream). It's alive, but struggling and much smaller than previous years. The others (including a "Jack Frost" & "Hadspen Cream") were fine. I think the 1 that got zapped had put out more new growth than the others & had lost much of its winter mulch.

Susan hb - I'm not very good at posting photos, but here goes. Sign up at photobucket.com. Upload your photos there. Then copy the second line, go to the post and paste it in the text with Control V. On the preview, you should see the photo. BTW I believe the pronounciation is "BRUN-er-ah" because it was named in honor of Brunner.

• jh7711
    16 years ago

I have 1-1.5 year old babies that are a solid green as compared to the mother plants that have the "frosted" leaves. Is this normal and will they turn to the frosted leaves after a few years??

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES