Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springcherry

Favorite 'sun' plant that takes more shade than you would think

springcherry
19 years ago

Since its in bloom now, I'll start off with one of the most obvious, and glorious ones == Rudbeckia "Goldstrum."

From what little Ive picked up, it seems that certain varieties and species of pestemon, agastache, monarda, heliopsis, catmint, monarda, veronica, and many more, are more shade tolerant than others of the same genus. I'm looking to find out what these are, and trust people's experiences more than garden catalogs(well, -some- garden catalogs;-)

So what works for you?

Springcherry

Comments (21)

• Carrie B
    19 years ago

Hi Springcherry,

For me: phlox (both creeping and garden), rugosa rose, daisy (Becky) and iris (several types, including German and Japanese).

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

culvers root, joepyeweed, cupplant grow in quite a bit of shade or full sun

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Liriope, Moraea, Aster novi-belgii, Antirrhinum, Erigeron.

• christie_sw_mo
    19 years ago

My shade under the trees is pretty dry in the summer and I've been surprised how well artemisia 'Powis Castle' is doing. It only gets a little early morning sun. I actually just stuck it there to root it but it looks pretty good!

• bfroberts
    19 years ago

Veronica 'Red Fox' and 'Alba', phlox 'David' and 'Laura', 'Nearly Wild' roses, St. John's Wort (shrub varieties), Maid of Orleans jasmine, several types of sedums except Autumn Joy, ice plant, and obedient plant 'Miss Manners' have all done well for me in shade. I am generous with the water b/c the tree roots suck the soil dry. Plants that have not done so well for me include veronica 'Goodness Grows', dianthus (doesn't bloom well), gaura 'Whirling Butterflies', shasta daisies (none have been kind to me), verbenas, and coneflowers. These things did much better when I moved them to a sunnier location. The following plants grew and flowered well for me in shade but tend to reach for the sun if I can't or don't stake them: peonies, echinops 'Taplow Blue', purple obedient plant, various sages, coreopsis 'Moonbeam' and dahlias. Hope this helps.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

EARLY blooming spring bulbs are good too - early daffodils, muscari, minature iris, anemone blanda, etc. Their foliage gets enough energy before the trees fully leaf out for the next years bloom.

• redwoodrose
    19 years ago

Miniature roses (the Parade series) do really well for me in half shade. They get taller, and really become little formal urn shapes, with nice long stems for cutting, instead of the stubby little stems in the sun.

redwoodrose

• shade_tolerant
    19 years ago

Did anyone mention daylilies? I have several that bloom for me under a very leafy canopy of mature trees.

• hemlady
    19 years ago

Many of my daylilies are planted in shade. They dont bloom as much or rebloom, but they do OK. Denise

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

Great thread. Thanks for starting it, Springcherry!

• janetr
    19 years ago

Rudbeckia triloba does well even in almost total shade. It doesn't get as big or flower as much as in sunshine, but still does well. Campanula glomerata also does well although it does tend to lean towards the light so a bit of discrete support is in order.

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

Oh BTW... I planted some snapdragons in pretty heavy shade this spring.

They are growing just fine! No flowers, though. :(

• paste592
    19 years ago

Campanula glomerata also does well although it does tend to lean towards the light so a bit of discrete support is in order.

Question about this one, which I've hesitated to plant because of its bad rep for spreading -- does being in shade hold down its invasive tendencies? If so, I'm ordering them today!

Pat

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

Climbing roses.......

• janetr
    19 years ago

Paste, I do find that they spread, but I wouldn't term them invasive. When you dig them out, they're gone. So far, I've just had the clump widen rather nicely, but not go anywhere else unless I invited it. Of course, some people call anything invasive that needs dividing more often than every five years or so... ;o) I divided it after a couple of years, not because it needed it, but because I wanted to put it elsewhere.

• mycalicogirls
    19 years ago

I have a bed below my front window that only gets a couple hours late afternoon sun. I have Tiger lillies (true lilly type), purple coneflower (both white swan and purple ones and Shasta daisies. I also grow a big deep golden yarrow (mind blank on variety). All these flower profusely even in this deep shade cast by the house. Molly

• jaysonmc
    19 years ago

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'! Grown in almost deep shade, maybe 2 hours of direct sun (more in the spring, less in fall). Blooms magnificantly, bushy growth, and that sage smell. Highly recommended, we let ours go wild, so it is more bushy than plant like.

• TaraRose
    19 years ago

When I moved into my house, sedum "goldacre" was the only thing growing in my shade bed.

I also have a lone tulip that lives in the shade between an evergreen tree and the house. It was there when I moved in, so whether it's a volunteer or a sole survivor is anybody's guess.

I had some cosmos that bloomed well enough in part shade, but they got all leggy. Same goes for malva zebrina. It bloomed a lot, but I could have tied it on a trellis and called it a vine.

TR

• marystem
    16 years ago

Lavender

• ladychroe
    16 years ago

My Pink Knockout rose is blooming fairly well and has tripled in size since I planted it early this spring. It gets maybe an hour of direct sunlight early in the morning, then another hour in the early afternoon. The shade is open and airy, though - there is the corner of the house abt 5' away to the west and a huge, high-canopied maple about 15' to the east.

It doesn't have that classic rose shape but the color is snappy and livens up my shade garden. I plan on getting more next year.

• poodlepup
    16 years ago

NASTURTIUM

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations