Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite 'sun' plant that takes more shade than you would think

Posted by Springcherry 6/7 Philly,PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 04 at 15:34

Since its in bloom now, I'll start off with one of the most obvious, and glorious ones == Rudbeckia "Goldstrum."

From what little Ive picked up, it seems that certain varieties and species of pestemon, agastache, monarda, heliopsis, catmint, monarda, veronica, and many more, are more shade tolerant than others of the same genus. I'm looking to find out what these are, and trust people's experiences more than garden catalogs(well, -some- garden catalogs;-)

So what works for you?

Springcherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite 'sun' plant that takes more shade than you would thi

• Posted by CarrieB 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 11, 04 at 16:10

Hi Springcherry,

For me: phlox (both creeping and garden), rugosa rose, daisy (Becky) and iris (several types, including German and Japanese).

o

culvers root, joepyeweed, cupplant grow in quite a bit of shade or full sun

o

Liriope, Moraea, Aster novi-belgii, Antirrhinum, Erigeron.

o

My shade under the trees is pretty dry in the summer and I've been surprised how well artemisia 'Powis Castle' is doing. It only gets a little early morning sun. I actually just stuck it there to root it but it looks pretty good!

o

Veronica 'Red Fox' and 'Alba', phlox 'David' and 'Laura', 'Nearly Wild' roses, St. John's Wort (shrub varieties), Maid of Orleans jasmine, several types of sedums except Autumn Joy, ice plant, and obedient plant 'Miss Manners' have all done well for me in shade. I am generous with the water b/c the tree roots suck the soil dry. Plants that have not done so well for me include veronica 'Goodness Grows', dianthus (doesn't bloom well), gaura 'Whirling Butterflies', shasta daisies (none have been kind to me), verbenas, and coneflowers. These things did much better when I moved them to a sunnier location. The following plants grew and flowered well for me in shade but tend to reach for the sun if I can't or don't stake them: peonies, echinops 'Taplow Blue', purple obedient plant, various sages, coreopsis 'Moonbeam' and dahlias. Hope this helps.

o

EARLY blooming spring bulbs are good too - early daffodils, muscari, minature iris, anemone blanda, etc. Their foliage gets enough energy before the trees fully leaf out for the next years bloom.

o

Miniature roses (the Parade series) do really well for me in half shade. They get taller, and really become little formal urn shapes, with nice long stems for cutting, instead of the stubby little stems in the sun.

redwoodrose

o

Did anyone mention daylilies? I have several that bloom for me under a very leafy canopy of mature trees.

o

Many of my daylilies are planted in shade. They dont bloom as much or rebloom, but they do OK. Denise

o

Great thread. Thanks for starting it, Springcherry!

o

• Posted by JanetR Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 30, 04 at 13:17

Rudbeckia triloba does well even in almost total shade. It doesn't get as big or flower as much as in sunshine, but still does well. Campanula glomerata also does well although it does tend to lean towards the light so a bit of discrete support is in order.

o

Oh BTW... I planted some snapdragons in pretty heavy shade this spring.

They are growing just fine! No flowers, though. :(

o

Campanula glomerata also does well although it does tend to lean towards the light so a bit of discrete support is in order.

Question about this one, which I've hesitated to plant because of its bad rep for spreading -- does being in shade hold down its invasive tendencies? If so, I'm ordering them today!

Pat

o

Climbing roses.......

o

• Posted by JanetR Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 5, 04 at 19:32

Paste, I do find that they spread, but I wouldn't term them invasive. When you dig them out, they're gone. So far, I've just had the clump widen rather nicely, but not go anywhere else unless I invited it. Of course, some people call anything invasive that needs dividing more often than every five years or so... ;o) I divided it after a couple of years, not because it needed it, but because I wanted to put it elsewhere.

o

I have a bed below my front window that only gets a couple hours late afternoon sun. I have Tiger lillies (true lilly type), purple coneflower (both white swan and purple ones and Shasta daisies. I also grow a big deep golden yarrow (mind blank on variety). All these flower profusely even in this deep shade cast by the house. Molly

o

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'! Grown in almost deep shade, maybe 2 hours of direct sun (more in the spring, less in fall). Blooms magnificantly, bushy growth, and that sage smell. Highly recommended, we let ours go wild, so it is more bushy than plant like.

o

When I moved into my house, sedum "goldacre" was the only thing growing in my shade bed.

I also have a lone tulip that lives in the shade between an evergreen tree and the house. It was there when I moved in, so whether it's a volunteer or a sole survivor is anybody's guess.

I had some cosmos that bloomed well enough in part shade, but they got all leggy. Same goes for malva zebrina. It bloomed a lot, but I could have tied it on a trellis and called it a vine.

TR

o

Lavender

o

My Pink Knockout rose is blooming fairly well and has tripled in size since I planted it early this spring. It gets maybe an hour of direct sunlight early in the morning, then another hour in the early afternoon. The shade is open and airy, though - there is the corner of the house abt 5' away to the west and a huge, high-canopied maple about 15' to the east.

It doesn't have that classic rose shape but the color is snappy and livens up my shade garden. I plan on getting more next year.

o

NASTURTIUM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here