Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any thoughts about plants in shade?

Posted by dentiphile PA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 15:36

Hi All,

In my backyard I have a row of maples? I planted a row of burning bush and viburnum. I also planted 4 schip laurels for evergreen. We put in a wired fence between my neighbor and I. I wanted to plant some things back there for all winter privacy. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any thoughts about plants in shade?

here's another view

o

picture of fence

o

overall view

o

Burning bush does best in full sun and is considered invasive across much of the eastern half of the US......I might reconsider that choice.

Maples are notoriously hard to underplant, so starting with something small initially is often advised. Check out plants that are recommended for dry shade. Not all of these may appropriately hardy for you but check out sweet box (Sarcococca), Japanese laurel (Aucuba japonica), yews, any type of cherry or English laurel (like the Schipka), Kerria japonica, Oregon grape holly (Mahonia cvts).

Pulling the planting area out in front of the maples will increase your choices, both by increasing the amount of sunlight available as well as less interference from tree roots.

o

"Pulling the planting area out in front of the maples will increase your choices, both by increasing the amount of sunlight available as well as less interference from tree roots." I was going to say the same thing. It looks like there's ample space for a nice, sunny bed, leaving a walkway between that and the trees/shrubs. Then you would have enough light for some larger evergreens, and some more floriferous, smaller plants for summer interest also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here