Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade garden - ideas for privacy screen plants or structure?

Posted by toni98033 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 15:52

Hello from Kirkland, Washington (Zone 7/8),

I just cleared a corner of my property by limbing the existing evergreen fir? tree. I now have a 20'x30' shaded area to plant and more importantly, a "new" neighbor to screen (the tree branches hid us from one another before). Click here for a picture (pls excuse the post bbq buckets and coolers!)

The area is on the East side of my house (I am standing on my patio taking the pic). The light in the front is the most direct/indirect light the area gets except the far back right (by the pink signs) corner gets a bit from the West side in the evening as it sneaks past the neighbors house. She has some bamboo planted in that corner on her side of the fence.

Are there any folks with ideas on creating a privacy screen? The fence is only 5' and my husband isn't fond of lattice. I'd love evergreens but am not adverse to deciduous. Most of the nursery folks have said Vine Maples and a good friend has suggested Pieris Japonica. I am willing to pay for more mature trees so that I can get an instant screen. I even have it in my head that I can somehow put some cedar planters on stilts with some sort of shrub in them - but have no idea if that is crazy.

Any opinions out there?
Thanks in advance,
Toni - Kirkland, Washington

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture Of Area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade garden - ideas for privacy screen plants or structure?

These guys had some good ideas (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: hgtv article

o
RE: Shade garden - ideas for privacy screen plants or structure?

hello i think i can sort you out ...here in the UK we're pack in like sardines so that problem is not unusual..you can buy ready to go hedges that start at that fence height with bare trunk under fence level...to get idea look up euro plants UK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here