Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlottev_gw

How about dry shade with tree roots!

charlottev
19 years ago

This is my big problem. Although I have been successful growing some hostas under these conditions, I am trying to find some low growing plants for the front of the border. Asiatic lilies do great in back, mostly tiger lilies and some primroses too.I have tried many, but the plants just look straggley. So any gardeners have any ideas?

Comments (3)

• Cady
    19 years ago

I have a miserable dry shade/Norway maple root patch. The only things that have survived there are lily-of-the-valley, epimedium, sweet woodruff and hellbore. I'm about to plant some euonymus groundcover, too.

I ammend the soil every year with compost, leaf mulch and whatever organic material I can find. It has helped enrich the soil and hold moisture better, and the shade-loving plants with shallow roots manage to sneak in between the maple roots.

• liatris52
    19 years ago

I have dry shade under several Norway maple's (the neighbours' trees). We just moved in last October. What is doing well includes Ostrich fern, goutweed (trying to keep it in cheque), Solomon's Seal, Wood Poppy, some wood sedges, foam flower, wild ginger, moneywort (also called creeping jenny), lots of European violets, and periwinkle. A cupplant is growing amazingly well and is flowering, but is half the expected size (we also have a sun garden we care for in another location). The native plants are quite vigorous and push out the aliens. The soil is basically pure sand with about an inch of really crummy topsoil. We mulch with cocoa beans.

In the more sunny area (part shade, 3 hrs+ sunlight and then dappled sun for the rest of the day), we have cleared some lawn and planted more native wildflowers and grasses to see how they will do. They include Bottlebrush grass, Echinacea, Black-eyed Susans, Nodding Wild Onion, Liatris spicata, and others. We created a bog using a tarp and the plants in there are doing quite well. We just put in a Datura.

There's not much lawn left, but I am trying to revitalize it. I put down a good triple-mix for top dressing, superseeded and it seems to be coming back. In October I'll put down some organic fertilizer on the lawn.

I've never gardened on sand before. It's kind of interesting in a perverse way.

Joanne

• lisazone6_ma
    19 years ago

I have a maple that I just began planting around this spring. With our rocky, heavy clay soil, we actually had to dig some of the holes with a post hole digger. I dug holes, amended, then planted and covered the whole area with shredded mulch. I didn't want to disturb the soil around the tree too much for fear of killing it and I only used a thin layer of mulch, probably just an inch or so. I planted lancifolia hosta, fringed bleeding hearts, yellow corydalis, plain green brunnera, two kinds of lamium, epimedium, ostrich and cinnamon ferns, as well as another fern I got from my mother's yard that I don't know the name of. I also just put in a pot of sweet woodruff and there are a few violets that were growing there anyway and I left them - anything green and growing there is good! I also scattered around a few white impatiens for that "glow" white flowers add to shade. Everything is doing well with the exception of the ostrich and cinnamon ferns. They are growing, but they're very small. I don't think they're getting enough moisture or light so I plan to move them next year. I planted most of it later in spring after they had already flowered, but the plants themselves are doing well. We've had an unusually large amount of rain this year and I have been watering in-between since it's a dry shade area, so I don't know how much that has contributed to my success this year. And I don't know how well anything will flower next year. It gets a couple of hours or so of morning sun in spots and dappled light for the rest of the morning until it's all shade in the afternoon.

Lisa

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus