Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry-shade

Posted by collinw 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 4, 06 at 16:18

I live in zone 7b and I am looking for suggestions for plants that will grow in dry-shade with dappled,afternoon sun. Native plants would be nice. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry-shade

If you post this on the native forum, I'll bet you can get some ideas. Where in zone 7b do you live?

Here is one post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dry Shade

o
RE: Dry-shade

Phlox divaricata, smooth solomon's seal, tiarellas, celadine poppies, and coral bells all do great in dry shade for me. Some other non-natives for dry shade are hardy cyclamen, epimediums, pulmonaria, toad lilies, and some hostas (though some like the last two would prefer some moisture). I also grow astilbes in fairly dry shade but you have to get them established before they can take any kind of drought.

If your shade is dry because of tree roots one thing I have learned that helps is to water the entire area (not just the plants) and to water deeply to draw the roots down. Frequent shallow waterings just encourage shallow roots and watering just the plants draws the tree roots into the are where your plant is and the tree roots hog all the water. Once I read about this and changed my watering habits I lost much fewer plants. Good luck! -Ais.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here