Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Jack Frost - Need a Companion Plant for Potting

lovefornature
16 years ago

I am absolutely in love with my Jack Frost Plant. Right now it is planted in the ground.

I hope that someone here can answer my questions.

I purchased a wooden barrel sage green container that is about 6 inches deep and 14 1/2 inches in diameter. It is buried about 2 inches down into the soil under my Maple Tree and does receive some sunlight.

Does anyone have a mature Jack Frost that can tell me how far down the root system travels?? I have looked everywhere and cannot find this information. I can purchase a deeper barrel if necessary.

Also, how do you think it would fair with overwintering in that pot where it sits (Zone 5B IL)? It grows in Zone 3.

I also wanted to know if anyone here might know what a great companion plant to this Jack Frost would be? I would not want anything much higher than what the Jack Frost matures to. Maybe 3-5 inches taller. I was thinking a hosta, but which one? I know that I especially like the more heart shaped leaved hostas. Hardiness in Zones would be important too.

I also just wanted to let everyone know that under my Norway Maple (Crimson King) this Jack Frost just glows like diamonds. Wonderful plant!!

Thanks all in advance :-)

Comments (5)

• louise_shade
    16 years ago

Your Jack Frost won't develop roots any deeper than most other small perennials, typically 2-4" deep. If you're looking for a companion Hosta, try for one with a contrasting growth habit, upright vase-shaped perhaps, or a white-green variegated one, to match the Jack Frost color. Hostas do have deep running roots though, so a larger hosta won't be happy for long in a shallow container. Winter protection (as in protection agains cold northwestern winds) should be observed.
    Louise

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Louise: Thank you so much for answering my question.

I guess a Hosta is out of the question. I do have about 5 Hostas and dug up one this year and the tap was pretty far down in the ground, I just did not know if all forms of Hosta grew roots the same way.

Another question, I have a few Hosta planted in containers that are 12" deep in mostly shade. I do not have any that are supposed to grow over 16" tall. Is a 12" deep pot OK for these with their root systems? Sorry, I have unusual situations at my home that prevent me from putting some things directly in the ground.

Do you have any ideas for my mostly shady area to companion with the Jack Frost?

Thanks again :-)

• mycitygarden
    16 years ago

Hi, Loveforature!
    I, too, have Jack Frost brunnera and love it! Had you thought about regular brunnera? It's contrasting green color but same leaf shape is nice. I also have Hollywood heuchera which has a similar silver tone to its leaves and bright red coral bells that look quite nice with Jack Frost. How about monkshood? Its dark, glossy foliage would contrast nicely and its late summer/early autumn deep lavendar/blue blooms are cool! I would think any blues or yellows--in terms of perennials--would look nice with Jack Frost. Any purples, too, b/c of the contrast with its silver foliage. So many choices! Yay!

• lovefornature
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi mycitygarden,

Another Jack Frost lover! This plant is so very beautiful!
    Glad to find someone else who enjoys it as much as I do.

I will be sure to definately look at a regular brunnera and the Hollywood heuchera.

I am trying hard to start preparing for next spring on alot of landscaping, so that maybe I can get things right this time LOL...new to gardening and so many mistakes this year.

Thanks again!!

• von1
    16 years ago

I have mine with one of the burgundy colored,(heuchera)coral bells-plum pudding, smoky rose, amethyst mist,or obsidian are a few that I have/
    Von