Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie gardener needs help w/choosing plants for shady area

Posted by halfandhalf 10 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 20:11

Hello out there, I'm pretty new to gardening and have 2 beds on the north side of my 2 story house that gets about 2-4 hours of filtered sun. My neighbors have about 20 banana trees growing on other side of wall where I will be planting and they shed leaves and flowers on the dirt.Don't know if that makes a difference but they have a sticky substance. I live in zone 10 Ca,sunset 24 a mile from ocean. We have mild temps most of year, no real frost
I would like to grow some edibles there but most need more sun. Also was thinking about some flowers or ferns but not sure where to start.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie gardener needs help w/choosing plants for shady area

Tough to grow any edibles under those restricted light conditions. May be better to focus on ornamentals here and try edibles in containers that can be moved into a sunnier aspect.

My sister lives in similar conditions and gardens under similar circumstances (Dana Point). Plants that thrive for her are azaleas, hydrangeas, hosta, ferns, liriope potted bamboo and camellias. In the sunniest locations she has gardenias and geraniums in containers.

o
RE: Newbie gardener needs help w/choosing plants for shady area

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 0:12

This book helped me out a lot when I wanted to expand our shade gardens. Year round interest is possible and foliage can be beautiful especially in your zone!

In another garden we have everbearing strawberries that are partly shaded by fruit trees in summer, but produce a good 1st crop. If you have a sunnier location you can get ideas on the square foot gardening forum for edible plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Making the Most of Shade: How to Plan, Plant, and Grow a Fabulous Garden that Lightens up the Shadows

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here