Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harold_sink

Shady garden with issues, and need ideas for fragrant flowers.

harold_sink
15 years ago

I am trying to help my mother come up with ideas for fragrant flowers to be planted in her one and only shaded garden area, which gets full shade all year long. We have no problem coming up with ideas for the other gardens that get partial or full sun.

Let me explain the size and layout of the garden so you can picture it. This shady garden is on the north side of the house along the edge of her covered wooden patio deck.

The length is 25'-3", and it is 2'-4" wide. The west end butts up against the house, and is bordered on the north side by 8" square timbers that need to go. She would like to put in a two layer stone border.

At that same end is a photina tree that has a path going around it from the driveway to the patio. That takes up six feet from the corner of the house and out nine feet to where the path meets the patio.

Anyway, I showed her my idea with hostas under the fotina tree bordering the path, and maybe a couple of them on into the garden heading up to the house.

At the closest section of the garden by the house I suggested two or three cinnamon ferns. On the other side of the path I suggested four lily-of-the-valleys with a small variety of bleeding heart in between each of them. Of course, these would all go down the center of the garden for foreground plant and a taller one behind them at the patio.

The final thing I suggested was toad lilies up near the patio, and sweet woodruff to come up in the spring around whatever else she wanted.

My reason for suggesting these particular plants is that they are fragrant, showy, and attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

I know there are many other plants that she would probably adore even more, but I do not know of all that many plants that grow well in the shade. I know she would like to have something growing there all year long.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for fragrant flowers that will grow well in north Texas? Right now she just wants to know what would grow through the fall period, but other suggestions are welcome.

She also just finished mixing in Miracle Grow's gardening soil for flowers and vegetables to improve the black clay that is all ready there.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)