Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun loving plants?

Posted by tennessee z7TN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 17, 06 at 1:25

I didn't know where to post this request. I have a flower bed along the back of my brick exterior house that faces south & gets sun most of the day. What are some sun loving plants I could plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun loving plants?

'It all depends...'

What colour brick is providing the background to the planting?

Did you want shrubs and perennials or annuals? How wide is the bed?

Have you got a microclimate there that actually gives you a local higher zone (an 8 instead of a 7)?

Did you want to use the walls for espalier work?

What sort of soil - and are you able to water over summer - or do you need to take water restrictions into account?

What colours appeal to you? And do you like dramatic combinations, or gentle, cottagey plants? Is scent an important consideration?

Do you garden 'often' - or just sometimes when there's a gap in the busy-ness? ('cos it wouldn't be kind to mention plants that would maybe take more time than you have available.)

Salvias, daylilies, gazanias, dianthus, sedums, petunias, marigolds, agapanthus, crocosmia, ornamental grasses, amaranths, coleus... All sorts.

Try reposting on the 'New to Gardening' or one of the 'regional' forums for heaps more ideas. A garden bed such as you've described has lots of potential for great combinations.

o
RE: Sun loving plants?

Agastaches are tough plants that would look great in front of your brick wall. Especially Agastache 'Apricot Sprite' which is a dwarf orange flowering perennial with silvery leaves. The ones I planted this year were nice and tidy and bloomed all summer and are still blooming now! Dianthus, Penstemons, Sedge Grasses,Gaillardia, and Bugbanes(Acatea) are all tough perennial plants that do extremely well in full sun hot areas. Also, these plants all would look great in front of your bricks. Some of these plants can be hard to come by in most nurseries. I always shop online for the majority of these plants, and have had good luck this year with Streambank Gardens, and Dutch Gardens. Have fun with your garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here