Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kerria Pleniforma

Posted by SBS12 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 11:20

Wondering about how to get Kerria Pleniforma to "bush out more" and have a better Spring in 2014. Three plants are in front of wood garage wall facing west, in shade and so-so soil (MI has lots of clay in soil in the Lansing area). Can I cut back bushes now, since they are tall and spindly and not too healthy looking? And do I pull out the woody branches that have no living vegetation on them? I appreciate any suggestions and thank you!!
SBS12 from East Lansing MI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kerria Pleniforma

When was this shrub planted? Kerria tends to be a suckering plant, known as a 'caning' shrub, meaning that it produces new stem growth ('canes') from the root crown. Given more than a couple seasons in the ground, one typically has a pretty decent stand of the stuff. Often, more than one wants :-))

Kerria tends to be tall and spindly - that's kind of its growth habit - and the more shade it is in, the lankier it becomes. And the cultivar 'Pleniflora' is known to be lankier than the species. Cutting back to the ground periodically can be beneficial. It also does better in a richer, well-draining soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here