Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikhilkumar99

Wet shady spot at the base of a slope

nikhilkumar99
13 years ago

Gets run off from watering of slope. Partial shade and Northern exposure (morning sun) on one side and shade on one. Water sometime collects and there is quite some moisture all year round.

Near Detroit/ Zone 5-6. Fair amount of snow.

This is what I am thinking of planting:

Center/ shady area - Ostrich fern, Dryopteris x australis - Dixie Wood Fern, Christmas fern and some Adiantum (edges). Also Carex elata 'Bowles Golden' and Carex hachijoensis 'Evergold' on the edges. (Quick question is Carex hachijoensis 'Evergold' invasive?)

I am also debating planting Empress Wu hosta's (Bridegewood seems to have an incredible selection of hostas) as a centerpoint.

I am planning on adding a variety of primulas (central florindae, edged, drier spots with beesiana, denticulata, pubescens. Also edge with the adiantums.

Anyone with experience on these please comment. The soil will be wet/boggy clay, North facing with partial shade/shady.

Please let me know if you see any invasive or toxic plants in the list. Also, I seem to see conflicting information on the primroses - will the varieties I have listed handle shade?

Nikhil

Comment (1)

Sponsored