Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadygardenster

where to plant euonymus?

Lynne5
18 years ago

I was given a small euonymus shrub with white and green varigated leaves. I have much shade and a little partial sun. I'm concerned that in the available shade the shrub will get choked by roots under my large japanese maple. It's a "moonshadow" fortunei. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Hi, I know that this is not the answer you are looking for and I also know many people get irate and preach about invasive species on these forums. I don't wish to do that but please be aware that Winter Creeper is an asian species that displaces native understory plants and is considered invasive in the eastern U.S..

Here is additional info if you wish to make an informed decision on whether you should grow it.

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I have a "euonymus f. canadale" (below) and keep it lightly pruned in a shrub shape. So long as it behaves itself it can stay but if it starts travelling I will take it out as I don't have room for anything that spreads. Here in southern Ontario zone 6a you can plant euronymus in sun, part sun or shade and it will do well.

euonymus f. canadale:

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• lanakolo
    18 years ago

Barb,
    Yesterday I bought and planted two euonymus fortunei canadale. Mine have a tree-like trim and look astonishing. I would've liked to see yours, just to get an idea on how does it look like a bush, but your picture is not displayed. Could you please check the link?
    Lana

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

I can see the picture Lana but it isn't a full shot of the shrub at all...just leaves to show the colours.

Your's must be grafts, are they? ie. the shrub is grafted onto a donor, dwarf, tree trunk? My shrub will look exactly the same as yours, just sitting the ground and it depends on how you prune it, or IF you prune it as to how it looks.

Barb

• chrisdianna_comcast_net
    18 years ago

I live in the southeast U.S. TN to be exact and I have just bought three Manhattan Euonymous. The front of my house faces north and that is where I planted them I was just looking on a website and they said something about euonymous's getting mold if planted on the North side and a shady area is this true, and if it is can anyone give me any ideas on how to combat against this

• vinelover
    18 years ago

I don't know about mold but they do get powdery mildew.
    It goes away once the weather warms up. I have several planted along my home's foundation. The one's that get the least sun get the white spots.

• opal52
    17 years ago

Chris Dianna, I have Euonymous in strong sunlight and it still has problems with powdery mildew. (Metro Atlanta Georgia). Regular neem oil sprayings help control it, but I haven't found anything that controls it completely. Pruning to ensure good air circulation can help. If I were starting over, I would choose a plant more tolerant of the humidity we have in the southeast USA. The problem with mildew will be with you for the life of the plant.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio