Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a garden for 'Hope' among the oaks

Posted by cliff_4d Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 14:13

Will a Korean fir grow well in a shady white oak patch?
Baby Hope was born 8-24 and lived 36 hours. We brought her home and buried her on our own property among the oak trees. We intend to make this little family plot into a nice garden. Well meaning family and friends have brought plants and the above mentioned tree to help get the garden started, but i'm not sure they are the correct choice for the location. I live in Zone 7b in Oregon and the soil is mostly clay below the 6-10 inches of top soil. We wanted to plant roses but most require full sun, a ground cover rose has been donated,(Rosa x Noatraum). I am probably in over my head and would love any advise or encouragment. tks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a garden for 'Hope' among the oaks

Well I am a relative amateur so I don't have a lot of great reccomendations but I am very very sorry for your loss. I guess you HAVE to plant among the oaks? I know its a tough spot ... I'd try woodland plants ... I don't know what roses grow well in shade but here is a site about woodland rose gardens:

http://www.woodlandrosegarden.com/rose/shade1.htm

o

What a beautiful idea. I don't know about fir (I'm a noob and not in your zone) but I would suggest dogwood, bleeding heart, lamium, periwinkle flower...

When I lived in Oregon (Portland) there was a gorgeous magnolia tree growing in the shade. It had the most gorgeous huge flowers...the smell was intoxicating.

I hope your hope garden brings you peace and love.

o

Cliff,

Other Hope plants might include miniature Hemlocks like 'Coles'- very shade tolerant. Spring flowers like Epimediums, Foam flowers, Partridge Berry, Alleghany spurge, Anemone nemorosa and Asarums. Crocus speciosus will grow under high shade and flowers here in late August-Sept. It comes in blue and white forms. Cyclamen hederifolium also comes to mind. Stoneroot(Collinsonia canadensis) flowers, give off a lemony scent when tapped. This medicinal woodlander flowers in late August-Sept.
Sasanqua Camellias start their season in Sept., perhaps earlier. Hamamelis virginiana flowers around Thanksgiving and then the Wintersweet starts, going into Christmas. Galanthus nivalis start the new year off with Lenten Roses continuing into spring.
These are all shade tolerant things and relatively drought and pest free here.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here