Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving lily-of-the-valley

Posted by cateyanne zone 5/6 Northern Oh (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 15:29

Hi! I need help from someone who has success with lily of the valley. I love these flowers and finally got some from a friend two years ago. I planted them in a somewhat sunny area and they pretty much dried up. I bought myself some and noticed that they were shade plants and so knew my mistake! I took the few that had survived and the new purchase and planted in a very shady spot under my front window behind a lilac bush and flanked by the porch and a large evergreen bush, facing north. This area gets only dappled sunlight. I was rewarded this spring with loads of green popping up everywhere, I was as excited anticipating the fragrant waves that would come into my living room. Sadly, with all that green, I had only a small handful of blooms and they were tiny. what am I doing wrong? Is this spot too shady? What is the reason lily of the valley will not bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving lily-of-the-valley

Be patient. Wait 'til next year! Also a little fertilizer in the spring wound encourage more blooms.

o
RE: moving lily-of-the-valley

Thanks nurserywoman, It's good to think I don't necessarily have to move them again. I'll look forward to next years blooms.
any particular suggestion for fertilizing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here