Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boring24

vines for shade

Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
19 years ago

Can anyone suggest some vines that will grow in almost full shade here in the deep south. Preferably a twining vine. Thanks,

Theresa

Comments (22)

• annafl
    19 years ago

Theresa,

Chestnut vine is a very large-leaved vine which does great in full shade, but I don't know how it does in 9a. I had it in 9b under oaks and it did great. It is spectacular and a vigorous climber which can also be used as a groundcover. Really different. I think its botanical name is tetrastigma voinerianum. Fatshedera does well in full shade, but doesn't climb without help. I think it actually does better as a ground cover. Lastly, confederated jasmine, although it may be rather spindly and not bloom well if the shade is full, but it is easy to find. Clerodendrum speciosum tolerates medium shade and blooms fairly well in that. Good luck!

Anna

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

My mother grows seet autumn clematis under shade from a pecan tree, and it blooms every autumn. Don't know if it's suitable for your zone, but you could check on it.

• greenthumb_want2b
    19 years ago

Virginia Creeper and English Ivy will grow in full shade. Both will spread aggressively, once established. That could be good or bad depending on how much area you want to cover.

• mycalicogirls
    19 years ago

I'm not sure how clematis perform in your area, but quite a few will do OK in shade. I'm growing Comtesse du Bouchard in dappled shade. It was recommended in a Fine Gardening article from years back. Nelly Moser was also recommended in that story. Molly

• pauln
    19 years ago

Dutchman's Pipe will grow in shade. It likes moisture, so sometimes this can be a problem under mature trees. My garden buddy hates this plant because it can spread by underground runners. I haven't seen it's agressive nature yet, but I don't water nearly as much as he does.

• ademink
    19 years ago

I second the suggestion of Sweet Autumn Clematis. Also, how about Five Leaf Akebia?

• GAAlan
    19 years ago

I would also suggest you look into Kadsura japonica. These are excellent twining evergreeen vines for shade. They can even produce clusters of red berries. I have two variegated cultivars that I have thoroughly enjoyed. One I have growing into a huge old Cedar the other into a Wax Myrtle. Both perform magnificently. I have pictures of both, but can make only one available per post.

Take a look at this one, it is called Chirimen. The marbling is most pronounced on the youngest leaves but still retained some on older leaves too. This has been very vigorous for me, but certainly not invasive at all. This particular plant has produced heavy crops of berries too, which is an outstanding bonus feature!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• kriswrite
    19 years ago

I thought Sweet Autumn needed dappled light? Am I wrong?

Kristina

• ferebeehowell
    19 years ago

I'm looking for a vine that will winter over in the NC mountains, preferably a flowering vine, in pretty much full shade. We're borderline zones 6 and 7,with temperatures that do get below freezing. I intend to look up information on the vines suggested in these posts, but most of them seem to be suitable for slightly warmer zones. I'm new to serious gardening and am also getting started on a perennial and bulb garden.

• swifty_mcgee
    19 years ago

Try a lonicera(Honeysuckle). There are many varieties out there, some more aggressive than others. Also a star jasmine.

• cam99
    18 years ago

I am in Zone 5a and I would like to plant a vine under a high porch that I share with my neighbour. It's primary purpose would be to give me privacy under the steps leading to the balcony. It would share soil with a cedar tree and lilies of the valley and ferns. I have a lot of Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy in the front of the house and along the fence, and I am trying to rip it out. (I am afraid that these will be the only options!)

I learned from the staff at a good local nursery that a climbing hydrangea would work, but then I noted that the tag on it said that it liked full sun to partial shade...

Any ideas? Does anyone have any experience with climbing hydrangea in full shade... maybe a bit of indirect sun late in the afternoon.

• Deb_NJ
    18 years ago

I have a beautiful climbing hydrangea in full shade on the north side of my house. Its leaves are a luminous emerald green. It hasn't bloomed yet, but I've been told that is normal. It can take several years. I was also able to root a cutting that had a few roots attached by sticking it into a pot last summer.

It doesn't look like much in the wintertime, but I love its glowing green abundance now that it's fully leafed out again this the spring. Also it has no pests that I'm aware of.

deb

• trees1
    18 years ago

I've heard the shade hydrangea has small white flowers and is a slow grower.

• Bonnie
    18 years ago

Yes the climbing hydrangea is a slow grower but the lacey flower caps are beautiful---when it becomes mature enough to bloom. I planted two last year.

• ImaHockeyMom
    18 years ago

A friend who works in a nursery here (SW Michigan - Zone 5) also suggested climbing hydrangea for covering up the chain link fence at the back of my property. It's in full shade, (under a canopy of trees) and she said it would take a while, but the climbing hydrangea should be perfectly happy in that location.

• BabyHelpful
    18 years ago

My mom in Gainesville has crossvine (Bignonia capreolata, Doxantha capreolata) growing all over her yard in full and part shade. It blooms wonderfully in the spring with marroon, orange or yellow flowers (there are multiple cultivars in addition to the species), attracts hummingbirds, and is a native.

• kitova
    18 years ago

i third that suggestion of sweet autumn clematis, or for that matter any of the larger flowering clematis that will tolerate shade, like comtesse de bouchaud or nelly moser mentioned above... particularly in the south, where they will take a lot more shade than here in the north. see http://stores.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/clematisforshade.html

i also have 2 climbing hydrangea in the shade, they are very substantial-looking, grow about a foot a year, have great-looking leaves and interesting bark in the fall/winter, but will not flower without direct sunlight.. they don't twine either. being woody, they climb by clinging onto brick and concrete with little aerial roots, if you don't have that kind of structure, you will have to tie or twine the woody stems around your lattice structure

• sandykk
    18 years ago

I love my Kiwi vine. It is doing well in shade. I have it climbing up a new swing arbor.

• bumblebeelane
    18 years ago

Climbing hydrangea will bloom in full shade. My friend has it growing on the fence and north side of her house where it gets no sunlight at all. The plant goes at least 16 feet up the wall and spreads about 8 feet across and is just blooming now...gorgeous lacy, white caps. This vine is nine years old, and first bloomed two years ago, so perhaps that is the difference between full shade and some sun...the length of time it takes to produce bloom...

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Also porcelain vine. It has variegated white and green foliage; it's in the vitex family (grapes). In late summer, the berries are a blue, violet, cream and white. Very attractive, and the birds love the berries.

Susan

• myrabyanka
    17 years ago

Hi,

I have a back porch that is shaded 90% of the day (gets some morning sun only). As it's cemented, would neet to grow vines or climbers in pots. Any ideas, please.

Thanks

Myra

• lilies4me
    17 years ago

I agree with Bumblebee...climbing hydrangea will bloom in the shade but will bloom less and take longer to bloom. Mine is ten years old in zone 5 and is now about 7' tall. It's in the shade of a large pine tree and gets perhaps an hour of sun a day. I planted it next to an unused telephone pole but even though it has myriad grasping roots it won't stick to the pole. I have to tie it in place.

I'd caution against porcelain berry...it's incredibly invasive...and I mean invasive. I planted it years ago and then gave it away to a neighbor...who hates it now. I still get shoots coming up and trying to cover pine trees, also sprouting in the middle of large roses. It's so hard to remove and then it's roots are still there and come back with new growth. If left unpruned it can get 10-15' high and very difficult to control.

good luck.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?