Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylandnewbie

tall shade plant for front of house

marylandnewbie
15 years ago

Hi. Bear with me as I am a new gardener. I live in Zone 7 (maryland) and front of colonial house is north east exposure so only morning light. (Actually the front of the bed gets more light due to less shading from the house)- does that make sense? The house has a porch and walkway up to the house in which there is a bed along the walkway (that gets more sun because it is out more from the house) I planted weeping yews (they don't get too big as we just pulled out big overgrown ones that felt we were sitting in a tunnel) right in front of the porch. Then put blue star junipers in front and pokemoke crape myrtle along the sidewalk. Have a fastigulia (sorry for spelling) blue spruce on the side. My area that I have a question is right by the row of yews. It is the closest space to where you step up to the porch to go to the front door. I was thinking of something tolerant of shade, height around 4-5 ft, liking clay soil with north east exposure. The area is only 5 ft wide also. I thought something flowering or with visual interest- flowering in spring or summer would be good. We have late summer with crape myrtles. Husband doesn't like rhod. or azaleas. I searched your site and have questions- questions

Nandina (heavenly bamboo) will it be OK with the shade?

Abelia grandiflora- I looked it up but it won't get to 5 ft- right?

Camelia- someone suggested it but could only find it as a rose- is this a shade plant?

Clethra- I think this would not like my clay soil, right? It gets hot and dry in this area.

Cimifoga- is this black cohosh and I found pictures but it only showed the flowers. They are pretty but wondering if it has the height.

Pieris- I think this would do OK and has height but is it too wide for space. I could look at compact varieties.

Kerria- how much are the suckers a problem?

I am just overwhelmed really. Even if I research this, then call nurseries, will they have them- should I just order online if I find something I like? Maybe a climbing hydrangea or should one not do that right by the front door because it will look bad part of the year? Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored