Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solsort1_dk

Full shade and bright full shade?

solsort1_dk
17 years ago

Hi.

Im trying to work with my shady areas this autumn. But I find the definitions a bit hard to understand.

I understand full sun and half shade +/- 6 hours sun a day. Then there is full shade... and this is where my problems start.

I have a bed up against a north facing brick garage. The back metre of it never gets any sun, not even in summer. But its still a fairly bright place as its open sky over it.

I know that deep under the canopy of a huge tree it would be full shade... but is the back of my bed that much full shade too? Or would it be more like half shade?

Its always been a tricky bed... maybe because I started as a novice garden and put sunloving plants there :-D

So now I would like to get the right plants in there once and for all.

Thanks in advance.

Hanne in Denmark

Comments (4)

• momamamo
    17 years ago

Hanne - Your light shade situation is commonly known as part shade. Aim for plants that handle a range of light. In the brightest spots, plant things that grow in part-shade to sun; in the darkest parts, go for part-shade to shade. Your brick garage probably holds heat so you may have an interesting little microclimate there to experiment in. But that's part of the fun!

I googled "plants part-shade" and came up with the below as an example of what's out there. Best of luck! Maureen

Here is a link that might be useful: www.diggingdog.com

• solsort1_dk
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Maureen.

Thanks a lot :-)

Your way of explaining it was really helpfull, now I get it completely.

And thanks for the link... I already found a lot of stuff that I have growing around the garden, that I can move to my 'new' shade-halfshade-sun bed.
    Its really a fun bed to work with, as the very front part of it has baking full sun and is very dry cuz of the slabs of our patio.

Youre right, experimenting is one of the best parts of the fun.

Thanks again, and take care,
    Hanne

• mary_pnw_7b
    17 years ago

There are many wonderful things that you can grow in shade. My favorites are Huchera (coral bells), which come in an incredible range of colors and are evergreen in zone 7. My favorites are Peach Melba, Lime Ricky and Plum Pudding. Hosta's are a staple for the shade and there are tons of choices. Ferns are beautiful too, my favorite is the Japanese Painted Fern ~ ~ ~ the Tassel Fern has wonderful texture. For flowering plants try Astilbe, Dwarf Goatsbeard, Tuberous Begonia (dig up and store over winter) Japanese Anemone, Solomon Seal, shade tolerant Hardy Geranium, Pulmonaria and Tierella. Then fill in with annuals like Impatiens. White Impatiens really pop in shade. There are many other wonderful shade tolerant plants, but these are some of my favorites in my 50x50 foot shade garden. You have a ton of choices for the shade!

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

I'm in zone 9 I have full shade against the back of the house but nothing else is giving it shade. I planted a miniature rose garden that's 9' wide by 20' long. I have about 3' wide section by 20' that I need to plant something that will complement my miniatures that are all various shades of lavenders, pinks a few yellows, an orange and a couple of whites. I have 25 minis in the bed. Any ideas?? My minis will be a foot to 18" tall so the plants need to be at a foot or two and by a foot or so tall that I can keep pruned down along the wall of the house. Maybe 4 to 6 plants or more depending on size. Any ideas?? Zone 9 is hot hot hot in the summer and about 30 degrees and frost in the winter. So this bed is at the back of the house that is in full sun but is shaded by the house where I need some plants behind the minis.

Sponsored