Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetbrat

Tall plants needed to help draw attention

sweetbrat
19 years ago

I'm new to shade gardening, and I'm looking for some plants to add to the ones that the previous owners of the house have in place. The area is in my front yard, along the foundation of the house. The front of the bed gets a couple hours of dappled sun in the afternoon, while the back of the bed gets no direct sun as it is shaded by the house. It gets a fair amount of water, plus I water it when necessary, and the soil seems to have good drainage.

Right now the bed has some hostas and ferns, along with a few helleborus, and there's some dwarf daylilies planted towards the front. I'm looking for some taller plants to put at the back of the bed along the house to help it stand out a bit more. This bed is the first thing that is seen from the street, so I want to help spruce it up a little. Any thoughts?

Comments (10)

• paste592
    19 years ago

I'm currently madly in love with kirengeshoma -- I bought some after reading the thread (below) in the perennials forum. One has been in the ground only a week and is blooming beautifully. The other is a couple of weeks older, and is also in full bloom. Take a look at these photos!

Pat

Here is a link that might be useful: kirengeshoma photos

• mycalicogirls
    19 years ago

A recent issue of Fine Gardening Magazine featured annuals to add to shaded perennial beds. They showed nicotiana sylvestris (the tall white-flowered type) planted as a backdrop to hostas and such. It was simply stunning in the photo. I grew them in my sunny cottage garden in the front yard this summer and fell in love with these plants. The fragrance is heavenly. I'm definitely adding some to my shade garden next year! They are easy to grow from seed, which you can find nearly anywhere flower seeds are sold. My plants grew about 3-4 ft. tall, but were narrow so fit into a bed well. Molly

• annebert
    19 years ago

Hydrangeas, azaleas, or rhododendrons would be great.

• diggerb2
    19 years ago

I know this is late coming to you, but what about a lobelia-- cardinal flower(deep red, likes partial shade and moist well drained soil) or great blue lobelia( takes more shade,
    likes moist, well drained soil andd has spikes of blue flowers up to 4 feet?)

digger b

• mary_pnw_7b
    19 years ago

Camellia, which are evergreen would be nice.

• kathicville
    19 years ago

Japanese toad lily grows to 2.5'-3' in dappled to deep shade in my yard. Spends the summer looking like plain green fern fronds, but come Labor Day each 'frond' puts out tiny flower buds up and down the stems. Those little buds turn into beautiful, small orchid-like flowers that last three weeks to a month or more. Very nice late-bloomer.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

culvers root (veronicastrum virginicum) tall plant (4 to 5') with striking white candelabra like flowers - very beautiful - grows well in shade.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    19 years ago

How about aconitum - monkshood? It gets around four feet tall, depending on which one you choose, and you can also choose some for later season blooms.

:)
    Dee

• sheltieche
    19 years ago

Tricyrtis-aka toad lilies better grown near the walking patch since flowers are small and better appreciated from close view.
    I join above post about some shrubs- frond of the house has to have something to show in fall- spring-winter as well.
    Viburnums, fothergila, acers, conifers-there is planty to choose from

• garden_crazy
    19 years ago

I have Goat's Beard (4-5') and Cimifuga (6-7')in shade. The Cimifuga is also very fragrant! I also have a good size clump of garden phlox that bloom nicely in light but complete shade. Astilbe Cattlyea (sp) is a 4' astilbe with great large pink blooms. Chelone (Turtlehead) gets about 3'. I also have a Dappled Willow Bush in mostly shade that draws lots of attention from visitors. I don't have but will try this year...Kerria -a shrub that has a long bloom time in shade with yellow flowers, single or double. A not real tall but nice geranium for shade is Samobar, faily upright, about 2' variegated with maroon flowers. Have fun!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting