Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solsort1_dk

Tall yellow/ish perennial for shade - early summer flowering

solsort1_dk
18 years ago

Im about to give up. I feel I have spent ages to find something like the above. Maybe it just doesnt exist?

Any of you have any ideas? Its medium moisture, nice soil, up against a brick wall facing direct north, so it gets a tiny bit of sun during mid summer, but only for about a month.

It would be right in the right hand upper corner. This pic is from June 11th and show exactly the gap I need to fill after all the tulips and daffs go and before the asiatic lilies take off.

The yellow flowers to the left are daylilies.

Thanks in advance.

Hanne in Denmark

Comments (14)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

How about one of the yellow flowered thalictrums. They should dowell there. Good though light yellow colors and gorgeous foliage.

George

• pam_aa
    18 years ago

How tall?

• solsort1_dk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not less than 2 feet... thanks :-)

• ego45
    18 years ago

Well, if you'd like to break the bank (at least here in US you have to), I have a perfect solution for you: Paeonia mlokosewitschii.
    Plant will grow to 1m (3'+) high, bloom in the first week of June with lemony yellow flowers, absolutely distinct juvenile foliage is bright red slowly fading to dark green. In part shade it may retain red tones in it the whole summer. Sight to behold!
    Unlike many peonies it would rather prefer part-shade over full sun.
    Note of caution: there are many so-called 'garden hybrids' of P.mloko on a market for a fractions of the cost of the real one. Plant is a slow grower, so if you buy a bare roots it may take a good 3 to 4 years untill you see a first bloom and if you have it not from a reputable source you might have no remedy if you discover that you have an imposter (flowers will be pink or off-white yellowish, pretty, but not YELLOW).

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

George - great minds and all that, I was going to suggest Thalictrum flavum 'Illuminator'. I have that plant, and while it does get the yellow flowers May-June, the foliage is stupendous and remains so all summer, unlike many of the meadow rues.

However, if you want something REALLY dynamic, you could go with Alocasia lutea (a lot of yellow in the foliage as the name suggests - 4-5' tall eventually). A gorgeous aroid, and hardy to zone 7.

Susan

• solsort1_dk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi... and thanks for your ideas.

They are all gorgeous, and sitting on my wanted list now :-)

I went to a plant market yesterday and found a yellow thalictrum... at $1... yibee. No name, but I didnt even know that they came in yellow, so Im happy. I got my first this spring, lavender coloured and really like it.

Thanks again.
    Hanne

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

Salvia koyame or yellow 4 o'clocks.

• guerrillagardens
    18 years ago

Where ever do you find the P. mlokosewischii? I have looked and never found a source. Love to get some.
    gg

• snews911
    17 years ago

You may also want to look into Kerria japonica. There are various cultivars. I have "pleniflora" which has golden yellow chrysanthemum shaped flowers about 1.5 inches across. It has a large flush of bloom (in zone 5) in mid-May, followed by sporadic bloom throughout the rest of the growing season. You wanted yellow, and you'd also get teh bonus of bright green stems for contrast against your red brick wall. Mine gets 3-4 feet tall, left to its own devices, but I've seen it pruned to shorter heights. Mine is in a windy location, so it always looks better after trimming the very tips in the spring.

Do be aware that it spreads by underground runners, and you might want to plant it in a pot with the bottom cut out to help contain it. Otherwise be prepared to share it with friends and neighbors.

I got mine at a local nursery after seeing it first at Wayside Gardens.

• lisa03
    17 years ago

guerrillagardens, typically you have to get P. mlokosewitschii at a mailorder nursery specializing in unusual plants (like Heronswood, Avant,..). In Canada, Fraser Thimble Farms and Hillkeep carry them. If you are patient, you can grow them from seed, which is what I did. They are not difficult but are slow -- about 2 years to a single stem plant and another 2 or 3 to bloom. They are absolutely gorgeous at all stages, but I wouldn't particularly use them where a yellow plant was needed as the bloom itself is rather fleeting and nothing else about the plant is yellow.

• jscanlin
    17 years ago

I've been growing some wonderful yellow columbines that might fit there. Aquilegia chrysantha, I think. At least, that's what I bought them as. But they got to be tall - maybe 24-30" and very floriforus (is that a word?) for over a month May-June. Right after the tulips and just before the Asiatic lilies.

• watergal
    17 years ago

Digitalis (foxgloves) comes in a yellow variety that is blooming now for me.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

There is a perennial foxglove, digitalis grandiflora, that is a soft yellow. It's not as spectacular as some other foxgloves, but it is very reliable in my garden. I have it with a hosta Regal Splendor and they look nice together.

:)
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: digitalis grandiflora

• janetr
    17 years ago

Lysimachia punctata. It can get invasive, but apparently 'Alexander' is better behaved.

Borrowed this picture from the Internet. Not mine, unfortunately.

Janet's Garden

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington