Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenamateur

Please - reccomendations for plants for memorial garden -

gardenamateur
14 years ago

Hi. I'd love reccomendations for plants for my memorial garden for my dear dog (that passed this week) ...

He was black and fluffy :( - so I'd like the following types of plants - preferably perennials or shrubs for light to part to full shade (I can do moist or dry soil)

-Soft/ fluffy tactile plants (like seedheads o(r flowerheads)

-Black plants (flowers etc)

-plants with Nicky (or Nicki or Nickolas)in the name (that was his name :(

-flowers that symbolize/ or have rememberance or love? in the name (like forget me nots)

-plants with dog in the name

thank you so much in advance (broken hearted) :(

Comments (4)

• socks
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved dog Nicky. Even though we know our pets won't live as long as we do, it's still a terrible loss. Keep the good memories close at heart.

I'm sorry to say I have no suggestions for you since I don't know your zone. Maybe that's why you've not gotten any suggestions. Take a trip to the nursery and plan a garden which will comfort your heart. Have you seen the stepping stones with pet's names? One link is below but I don't know if it's a good company or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: pet memorials

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

What plants did your dog enjoy? Did he take walks or go to the park and have favorite plants he liked to sniff or rub against?

You might want to create a woodland or natural garden in memory of Nickolas that could symbolize his love for the outdoors. You might try the natural garden or woodland garden forums. I've also seen that you can buy a flat stone memorial plaque with your pet's name on it...in fact my friend got one for his dog, who was his best friend.

I'm very sorry for your loss and think that a garden in memory of your friend is a great idea.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

The only plant I am familiar with named "Nicki" is flowering tobacco, a seed grown annual in shades of red, pink, green and white. It will grow in part shade or sun and is about a foot high. It is officially known as Nicotiana 'Nicki'. There are several black tulips such as 'Queen of the Night'. They need sun for best blooming. Most plants with fluffy seedheads are sun-lovers, but you might be able to find an ornamental grass that is "soft" and will grow in part shade. There are black violas/pansies, black hollyhocks and "Black Barlowe" columbines. The hollyhocks need sun, but the others do fine in part shade. Old-fashioned Sweet Williams have near-black varieties, but these are biennials and are usually planted one year to flower the next. I grow a black perennial geranium named ger.phaeum, also known as the "mourning widow" because the flowers are very dark red-purple, almost black. It does seed around a bit, so is not good if you want a neat and tidy look. Many of plants suggested are the "cottage-garden" type that reproduce by self-seeding, giving an informal style.

• marie0604
    14 years ago

So sorry for you loss. I just lost my dog Simon,Oct 14th of this year. I made a memorial spot in my shade garden. I have a small bench, a stepping stone with his name and his paw prints next to a tree.I made one because I knew he was sick, but you could get one with just his name. I have hosta's and ferns plus some flowering shade plants. I have 2 small wooden bird houses my 5 & 3 year old made at Lowe's. We are very heart broken also. We will rescue again but need some time.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction