Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycitygarden

Is leadwort/plumbago that invasive in Zone 5?

mycitygarden
17 years ago

Folks,

I am planting a shade garden in the back part of my property next spring & wanted to use ceratostigma plumbaginoides (aka leadwort or plumbago). Its colors are GORGEOUS in the fall! My site is fairly protected b/c it's a city lot w/ lots of houses nearby. If I were to plant plumbago & it did "wander," how easy is it to rip up? Perhaps it wouldn't be as invasive in a Zone 5 site? (it's listed as Zone 5-9). I don't want to give it up but I also don't believe in maintenance heavy gardens. Suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

It is no more invasive than many other groundcovers and a lot less of a problem than many other more aggressively spreading plants. In zone 5, overwintering is even iffy unless well mulched, so I doubt you should be faced with much of a problem. And while it would appreciate some midday sun protection in hot climates, Ceratostigma is not really a shade lover so how well it might spread in a very shady planting area is up for discussion. I have never found it a problem to remove where it was not wanted.

• geoforce
    17 years ago

Don't really know about Zone 5, but here in 7 it is certainly NOT invasive. As a matter of fact, it is a rather slow increasing plant, and I have been waiting 3 years for it to make a real show, which it has yet to do. I keep waiting.

George

• mycitygarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for responding so quickly gardengal & geoforce! I'm getting a mite discouraged about this seemingly wonderful groundcover. It just looked so colorful in the fall pictures on the web with its blue flowers and chartreuse/red leaves! We are talking about the same plant--ceratostigma plumbaginoides, yes? I saw yesterday that pictures of just leadwort & likewise for just plumbago (minus its latin name) didn't look quite the same. Are they all the same family?

At the very least I'll try one plant & see how it goes next spring. No harm in doing that! It is quite shady back there in my back of the lot, although it's all pretty much dappled shade/shade.

• ego45
    17 years ago

Ceratostigma plumbaginoides less likely will develop burgundy/red color in a shade. I had it for several years in such conditions and while it was blooming it never did anything in a terms of foliage and didn't spread too much.
    As soon as it was moved to sun/ part-sun location it really took off and right now I have a fantastic display of flowers and a foliage.

• mycitygarden
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, that's it. Too bad it's not going to happen but at least I have a whole winter to decide what IS going into this shade garden. Thanks, all!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

I'd consider Gaultheria procumbens, wintergreen, for a good shade groundcover. Evergreen, spreads nicely but manageably, produces small, pinky-white flowers followed by large, bright red, edible berries and the foliage will take on colors similar to that of the leadwort in late fall or with cold weather.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County