Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss Seems Like the Answer, or Is It?

Posted by janegael 6a CT (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 3, 09 at 8:24

I have an area that gets no direct sun adjacent to an area that gets some afternoon sun. At the moment the ground is pretty bare. I put down lasagna layers last year but this year it just didn't grow grass. I saw an article about moss lawns and thought this might be the way to go here.

Has anyone else tried a moss lawn in shady areas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss Seems Like the Answer, or Is It?

Actually I have a large area of moss (about 40 feet by 60 feet) in what I consider fairly bright areas. It gets sun from dawn till about 1:00. Have no idea why it likes it here as its not particularly wet.

My idea of a lawn is something to keep down the mud between the beds, so I don't mind it.

George

o

Look at this site. It's beautiful. A house across the street from me has a "moss lawn". I love the way it looks so green, after the grass lawns are brown. I encorage moss to grow in the sadky areas around my home, but I don't have large areas of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss

o

There's a whole forum for moss on GardenWeb that might also be helpful. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb: Moss, Ferns and Cryptogams Forum

o

I love the moss that grows in our yard where grass has trouble. In fact, I prefer the moss to grass and have little grass left now. My only problem is that we have weeds that come up and it is hard to get the weeds out without tearing up the moss. Of course, I can just stick it back down after removing the weed, so it isn't that big a deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here