Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foolyap

Edibles for shade?

foolyap
16 years ago

Our yard is extremely rocky, and the small house clearing is surrounded by mature trees that for various reasons won't be coming down.

As a result, the best spot for a vegetable garden is in front of the house, on the north side. Unfortunately, some of this area is shaded by the house itself. This area gets no direct sun, but is a "bright" shade due to open skies above.

Any ideas for edible things that could be planted in these conditions would be appreciated. Preferably low-growing things. I'm happy to consider "unconventional" edibles.

For example, I've never eaten Ostrich fern "fiddleheads", but maybe I should try growing those there?

Mushrooms?

I thought of ramps (wild leeks), but as those are a spring ephemeral, they probably need some direct sun.

Culantro is one thing I can grow there as an annual that actually seems to want shade.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-506.html

I could probably grow sweet woodruff in those conditions, but I don't know how much May wine I want to be making.

I figured I'd keep the leafy greens closer to the house, as they'll probably do better that way in the heat of full summer? But I don't think they'll do well without some direct sun.

Thanks, --Steve

Comments (5)

Sponsored