Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry Shade

Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 19, 04 at 10:46

Hello folks. I'm searching for shrubs, understory trees, and wildflowers that do well in shade under oak/hickory trees. I'm located in Central Arkansas, and our summers often get pretty hot and dry. My hill faces west, and the shade is dappled to heavy. I've had success with calicarpa (beautyberry), yaupon holly, and parsley hawthorn and rusty black haw seem to do well also. I'm attempting to plant mostly natives, so even though nandina and winter honeysuckle do well, I'm slowly taking them out. My hill gets pretty dry in the summer and I don't want to be a slave to the water hose. Our dry spell spelled the end of an american holly and dogwood that were planted in the spring. I may try again with the dogwood, but perhaps the holly is a stretch. Any more ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry Shade

Christmas fern does fine in dry shade if you are looking for perennials. Native blueberries can also handle this condition and native azaleas once they are adapted.

I'm sure you realize that you do have water new plants the first year or so before they can handle being unsupplemented.

You might want to start with smaller sizes of shrubs and trees as those will adapt faster than more mature plants.

o

The link below has a nice list showing which shrubs will tolerate dry conditions and shade. There's just not very many that will tolerate both. Maple leaf viburnum is one I've seen recommended before that you didn't mention. What kind of dogwood did you lose? This lists pagoda dogwood and gray dogwood as drought and shade tolerant. You may have to click on the magnifying glass at the top and zoom in to be able to read this.

Here is a link that might be useful: native shrubs

o

• Posted by pauln z7B Arkansas (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 22, 04 at 12:14

Thanks for the link Christie. It's a great list. My dogwood was the standard B-flat Flowering dogwood. I missed a couple of weeks of watering late in the season, and that spelled it's doom.
Esa, christmas ferns are some of the more drought tolerant ones, but it's just too dry on my hill without regular watering. I have one native azalea (prinophylum) and it is the first plant to show water stress along with the hydrangaes. The blueberries are a good suggestion. I need to find some of the deerberries to plant because they color so well in the fall.

o

Letherleaf Viburnum grows very well in dry shade. It flowers in spring. Check out the link, it is one of my best info sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leatherleaf viburnum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here