Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neil_n_ky

newbie - question about watering shade bed under sugar maple

neil_n_ky
18 years ago

hey everyone,

i just got into landscaping this year as i got a new neighbor that has really transformed his place into a beautiful yard. i have what i am pretty sure is a sugar maple in my front yard, light does filter thru and i have managed to plant oak leaf hydrangeas, astillbes, azaleas, and rhododendrons under there without hitting alot of big roots. the soilis also nice and black. i am praying they will live, they have so far. from reading here i have found that soaker hoses would be the best for watering. so far i have used a stationary sprinkler and let it run for about an hour or so twice a week. this tree is right next to my driveway and i am buying vanhoutte spireas to line the driveway this weekend and this will complete my shade bed. the plants have been planted for two weeks, nothing looks wilted yet, if it even shows signs i get the sprinkler out. i wanted to find out how long and how often i should water with the soaker hoses. i have read on here somewhere 30 minutes at a time but i haven't found how often, i don't want to get the ground too wet as i read oakleaf hydrangeas don't like to be setting in lots of water, but i want everything to live and floursish, it has been so ugly under the tree for years i am so excited to have alot of plants and a rock walkway there now. i even plan to put a small streetlight under there in the spring hopefully. does someone have an idea how long to run the soaker hoses and how often. i hope to get them this weekend too. thanks guys for any help you may have.

neil

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax