Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Soil conditions for Hostas

Posted by SunnyBunny Z8SeattleWA (gardenoforganicdelights@comcast.net) on
Mon, Oct 11, 04 at 13:55

Hello shade plant growers, this is a new area for me and I am excited to find out that there are so many cool plants that grow in the shade. I have an area under a cedar tree that has thick soil with a smaller area next to a north exposure side of a fence. It is all in "bright shade" Eastern light comes in a bit and then a bit if afternoon sun. I have hostas growing in pots that were given to me that have thrived in spite of my neglect and I had to buy a hosta called "guacamole," just because of the color and the name. What soil conditions do hostas like in the ground? Would outside the cedar tree be okay? Especially if I amend the soil? Do they do okay in acidic soil? Western garden book says just rich organic etc...Thank you SB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Soil conditions for Hostas

It sounds like your hostas would thrive in that position.... hostas like part to full shade..... not full sun..... they flower best in part shade...... Don't put it in the hottest areas near your yard i.e. near a gravel driveway or near the reflection of a white fence..... Hostas like moist average to rich soil..... they are not really that finicky provided they don't suffered drought.... have some nurtients and receive shade.... water if there is a real dry spell...... I'm not sure how they do in boggy conditions.... probably not terrific..... They do fine in acidic soil..... Amending the soil is a good idea..... Under the cedar tree is fine so long as there in spots without too much root competition.... Enjoy...... :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here