Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Desert Shade Garden

Posted by Falene Zone 9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 15:16

I was hoping someone could give me suggestions on what plants would do well in a shade garden. At least four months out of the year we have very hot weather. I am looking for plants that can tolerate almost total shade, are heat and drought resistant and do not cost a fortune (we are renters and we are tired of spending tons of cash on someone elses yard). Direct sow seeds would be great.

The area I have in the shade is between trees (about four feed apart).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Desert Shade Garden

• Posted by Kris 8b DFW (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 7, 05 at 23:33

I'm in your same situation-renting and in TX gardening with a hot shady area. Now I'm sowing (you can direct sow-but I'm not cause I have crickets that eat my seedlings) violets (viola odorada) reportedly handle both our winters and summers in shade and flower. Sounds too good to be true, I'll see. Violas and pansey's also in winter but not summer.

I like herbs so I'm doing herbs in the shade and our heat, these also are evergreen in my winter-salad burnet, thymes-so many, pennyroyal-likes water, lemon balm. These I'm currently growing so I can vouch for them. With herbs buy 4" pots costs about 2-2.50 each. There are many types of thyme, but regular 'plain' thyme can be sown. I believe salad burnet and lemon balm can be sown too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here