Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese toad lily planting

Posted by gaoyuqing 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 17:35

got some today (since last ones compy sent failed to do anything) and as i've planted these before in numerous locations with no success, I'd like some advice. how deep do you plants the roots for starters. I've planted them in shade, semi shade, loamy soil,dryer soil, under a pine tree so a bit more acidic soil, and so on. any help would be appreciated before i put these into the ground for the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese toad lily planting

Which species/cultivar did you receive?
Tricyrtis hirta and it's many cultivars are the most common ones in cultivation and one of the most hardy.

They prefer a humus-rich, fertile, well-drained, but moisture-retentive, acid or neutral, light sandy loam in partial shade. Prefers the dappled shade of a woodland garden, but tolerates full sun if the soil is reliably moist throughout the growing season, flowering earlier in such a location. Plants also require a sunnier location in the northern parts of the country. This species is hardy to about Zones 5-6, but if prolonged cold weather is not accompanied by snow cover, the plants would appreciate a good mulch of organic matter. Plants are very susceptible to attacks by slugs, their only garden nemesis.

Roots should be planted, so that the top of the crown is about level with or up to one-inch below soil surface.

They are self-fertile and seed all about the area.
In addition, they rapidly develop new flowering stems from root expansion.

A warm spell, near the end of winter, will trigger new foliage growth, which must be protected from subsequent freezing, sub-freezing temperatures or the plant could be lost.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here