What's your favorite heuchera?????

flowersandthings
19 years ago

What's your favorite heuchera????

:)

Comments (26)

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

Quicksilver and Midnight Claret. If Amber Waves ever stops being so coy it might become more of a favourite, but not yet.

• turtlegirl03
    19 years ago

Geisha's Fan (I think is the name).

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

amber waves was pretty cool till it didnt even make it thru the first summer.... needless to say i am less than thrilled with it lol
    i do love the silver veined variegated ones and of course chocolate ruffles mmmmmmmmm

• madamekikia2z
    19 years ago

Sun Spot

• diggerb2
    19 years ago

while we are on this subject (heucheras)is there one with purple leaves and pink/red flowers? I always like the
    leaves of 'purple palace' but am so diappointed with the white flowers. Or better yet would be a purple leaf with great silver netting and a deep pink flower.
    diggerb

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

For purple foliage with dark pink to red flowers, try 'Black Beauty', 'Tango' or 'Vesuvius'.

• stimpy926
    19 years ago

The new 'Obsidian' is rich and dark, and I planted 3 this past Fall, mixed with 'Sunspot'. Can't wait to see them this spring! I also have 'Silver Scroll', and a lot of 'Palace Purple'. I'm excited to see the new 'Lime Ricky' (Rickey?) that's out now, that would be wuuunnerful next to 'Obsidian' also!!!!

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

Pewter Veil

• azaleaphile
    19 years ago

Heuchera villosa 'Autumn Bride' and the purple cv -- blooms when nothing else is, plus great lime or purple fuzzy foliage. Only problem is, rabbits love it.
    H. 'Green Spice' -- vigorous, marbled green/burgundy leaves
    lots of purples, esp. 'Silver Scrolls' and 'Pewter Veil'

Anyone know what IS eating the heuchera leaves (between the veins) in summer?

• mary_pnw_7b
    19 years ago

I have plum pudding, and although the foliage is gorgeous, I am a bit disappointed with the flowers - very small.
    Mary

• lavendargrrl
    18 years ago

I just got 'Mint Frost' this spring. I think I am really going to enjoy it. Right now the foliage is silvery with olive-green veins. In the fall the foliage should turn purplish with silver veining. I am looking forward to seeing this transformation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera 'Mint Frost'

• ChlorophyllJill
    18 years ago

I love 'Can Can'. The flowers are inconspicuous, but the foliage is lovely! I'm loving 'Key Lime Pie', too. This is my first year with it, but it's looking promising! Not too thrilled with Peach Melba - it's looking rather bland. Black beauty is gorgeous - but mine has been somewhat small this year.

• von1
    18 years ago

Amethyst Mist is #1 on my list. Put it next to Jack Frost Brunnera...

• Dieter2NC
    18 years ago

My favorite is the ones I discovered in my woods, put there by mother nature. They have beautiful foliage. The flower stalks are strong and upright but unfortunately the flower itself is totally uninspiring.

• keets
    18 years ago

THAT IS A HARD QUESTION TO ANSWER. I THINK FROSTED VIOLET TOPS THE LIST FOR DARK ONES. I LOVE GUARDIAN ANGEL, WHICH IS HUGH. BEAUTY OF COLOR IS NOW MATURE IN MY GARDEN AND BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE ANBER WAVES AND IT MADE IT THOUGH THE WINTER AND LOOKS GOOD, BUT MARALADE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I LIKE THEM ALL AND I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW ONES, I HAVE 62. THE CABLE MAN CAME TODAY WHILE I WAS AT WORK AND FIXED THE CABLE AND TRAMPED DOWN MY "SNOW ANGEL", I THINK IT WILL BOUNCE BACK.

• janicesgarden_wa
    18 years ago

My favorite is Obsidian, there is something magical about the dark leaves next to lime green foliage plants! It was my first Heuchera (XoXoXO) since then I now have 60 verities!

• janetr
    18 years ago

Azaleaphile, I would guess earwigs are your problem. They tend to reduce things to lace. Diatomaceous earth can be effective, as well as spraying the little critters directly with soapy water. And if you catch them on a hard surface, there's the Earwig Stomp, danced to the song of your choice...

• alisonn
    18 years ago

Strawberry Swirls--for the leaves, a light, variagated green. The purple heucheras don't show up in my shade garden.

• SunnySmiles51
    18 years ago

Does anyone here take cuttings from thiers and maybe we could share some new ones we have been wanting.
    I just started collecting them and would love some new starts of others for my woodland area.
    I have many other plants to trade and also started tons of seeds this year. You name it and I more than likely have some.
    Sunny

• caliloo
    17 years ago

My favorite (today) is Midnight Rose.

I am very new to Heucheras (I now have 7! LOL) but it really caught my eye and I have high hopes for it!

{{gwi:1256202}}

Alexa

• von1
    17 years ago

There is a cute mini one called Petit Pearl Fairy. It has the cutest blooms too. I'll get a pic tomorrow as its out right nowVon

• von1
    17 years ago

Picture time! This really doens't do it justice.
    Petite Pearl Fairy

• marquest
    13 years ago

This thread was started back in 04 it would be interesting to see how many people still like their original choice. There have been so many new ones developed. Some not so hardy, some that do not like heat. What is your favorite now for your climate?

• Amenhotpe
    12 years ago

My favorite is citronelle. I have it growing in a shade garden with hosta Twilight and tall ferns.

• jaco42
    12 years ago

Key Lime Pie

• loomis
    11 years ago

Sure wish I knew the name, but I have a really old variety that has ordinary green leaves and tall stalks with pink blooms. It's my favorite flower, for hummingbirds love it and it fills my garden for ages with clouds of soft pink flowers. It spreads slowly and I've never had any problems with it. I have tried some of the newer varieties, but this old standby remains a favorite for sheer endurance.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County