What's your favorite heuchera?????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 04 at 18:34

What's your favorite heuchera????

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's your favorite heuchera?????

Quicksilver and Midnight Claret. If Amber Waves ever stops being so coy it might become more of a favourite, but not yet.

o

Geisha's Fan (I think is the name).

o

amber waves was pretty cool till it didnt even make it thru the first summer.... needless to say i am less than thrilled with it lol
i do love the silver veined variegated ones and of course chocolate ruffles mmmmmmmmm

o

Sun Spot

o

while we are on this subject (heucheras)is there one with purple leaves and pink/red flowers? I always like the
leaves of 'purple palace' but am so diappointed with the white flowers. Or better yet would be a purple leaf with great silver netting and a deep pink flower.
diggerb

o

For purple foliage with dark pink to red flowers, try 'Black Beauty', 'Tango' or 'Vesuvius'.

o

The new 'Obsidian' is rich and dark, and I planted 3 this past Fall, mixed with 'Sunspot'. Can't wait to see them this spring! I also have 'Silver Scroll', and a lot of 'Palace Purple'. I'm excited to see the new 'Lime Ricky' (Rickey?) that's out now, that would be wuuunnerful next to 'Obsidian' also!!!!

o

Pewter Veil

o

Heuchera villosa 'Autumn Bride' and the purple cv -- blooms when nothing else is, plus great lime or purple fuzzy foliage. Only problem is, rabbits love it.
H. 'Green Spice' -- vigorous, marbled green/burgundy leaves
lots of purples, esp. 'Silver Scrolls' and 'Pewter Veil'

Anyone know what IS eating the heuchera leaves (between the veins) in summer?

o

I have plum pudding, and although the foliage is gorgeous, I am a bit disappointed with the flowers - very small.
Mary

o

I just got 'Mint Frost' this spring. I think I am really going to enjoy it. Right now the foliage is silvery with olive-green veins. In the fall the foliage should turn purplish with silver veining. I am looking forward to seeing this transformation!

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera 'Mint Frost'

o

I love 'Can Can'. The flowers are inconspicuous, but the foliage is lovely! I'm loving 'Key Lime Pie', too. This is my first year with it, but it's looking promising! Not too thrilled with Peach Melba - it's looking rather bland. Black beauty is gorgeous - but mine has been somewhat small this year.

o

• Posted by von1 z4 NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 05 at 18:55

Amethyst Mist is #1 on my list. Put it next to Jack Frost Brunnera...

o

My favorite is the ones I discovered in my woods, put there by mother nature. They have beautiful foliage. The flower stalks are strong and upright but unfortunately the flower itself is totally uninspiring.

o

THAT IS A HARD QUESTION TO ANSWER. I THINK FROSTED VIOLET TOPS THE LIST FOR DARK ONES. I LOVE GUARDIAN ANGEL, WHICH IS HUGH. BEAUTY OF COLOR IS NOW MATURE IN MY GARDEN AND BEAUTIFUL. I HAVE ANBER WAVES AND IT MADE IT THOUGH THE WINTER AND LOOKS GOOD, BUT MARALADE IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I LIKE THEM ALL AND I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW ONES, I HAVE 62. THE CABLE MAN CAME TODAY WHILE I WAS AT WORK AND FIXED THE CABLE AND TRAMPED DOWN MY "SNOW ANGEL", I THINK IT WILL BOUNCE BACK.

o

My favorite is Obsidian, there is something magical about the dark leaves next to lime green foliage plants! It was my first Heuchera (XoXoXO) since then I now have 60 verities!

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 12:20

Azaleaphile, I would guess earwigs are your problem. They tend to reduce things to lace. Diatomaceous earth can be effective, as well as spraying the little critters directly with soapy water. And if you catch them on a hard surface, there's the Earwig Stomp, danced to the song of your choice...

o

Strawberry Swirls--for the leaves, a light, variagated green. The purple heucheras don't show up in my shade garden.

o

Does anyone here take cuttings from thiers and maybe we could share some new ones we have been wanting.
I just started collecting them and would love some new starts of others for my woodland area.
I have many other plants to trade and also started tons of seeds this year. You name it and I more than likely have some.
Sunny

o

My favorite (today) is Midnight Rose.

I am very new to Heucheras (I now have 7! LOL) but it really caught my eye and I have high hopes for it!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Alexa

o

Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 23:52

There is a cute mini one called Petit Pearl Fairy. It has the cutest blooms too. I'll get a pic tomorrow as its out right nowVon

o

Tue, Jun 20, 06 at 18:22

Picture time! This really doens't do it justice.
Petite Pearl Fairy
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

This thread was started back in 04 it would be interesting to see how many people still like their original choice. There have been so many new ones developed. Some not so hardy, some that do not like heat. What is your favorite now for your climate?

o

My favorite is citronelle. I have it growing in a shade garden with hosta Twilight and tall ferns.

o

Key Lime Pie

o

• Posted by loomis Z6 Western MA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 0:59

Sure wish I knew the name, but I have a really old variety that has ordinary green leaves and tall stalks with pink blooms. It's my favorite flower, for hummingbirds love it and it fills my garden for ages with clouds of soft pink flowers. It spreads slowly and I've never had any problems with it. I have tried some of the newer varieties, but this old standby remains a favorite for sheer endurance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here