Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shade Garden Themes

Posted by sprout_wi z4 WI (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 3, 06 at 21:58

Does your shade garden have a theme?

I am currently working on converting a shady wooded area, along the side of my house. It will have a Victorian/cottage-y theme.

I am going for an overgrown shabby/chic look.

-Sprout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shade Garden Themes

• Posted by arcy zn3/4 MN (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 13:51

I have a bird house garden, a gnome garden, a prayer garden, a buckboard garden between. All are shade. Hosta, astlbe, bleeding hearts...The village of bird houses is out front so it gets the most comments. The prayer garden is out my kitchen window and features a border made from cement bricks. I imbeded all the names of God from the bible into a "brick". Of course angels,and saint statues abound. The buck board was there when we moved in. My gardens grew around it. The gnomes are prominant in the spring. As the summer progresses they are mostly hidden among the hosta. Color is at a premium in a shade garden, so I supplement with brightly colored gnomes.
Over the years I have seen statues of different fairytales. I wish I had bought them up as I found them. That would be a fun theme. Bop over to Garden Junk or Garden Accotuments. You can find some great ideas there. Use the search feature.

o

My major theme is a "woodland" garden. Then there is my native shrub hedge, my trillium bed, my Rhododendron, Hellebore, perennial and bulb bed, my alpine stone wall, my astilbe bed, my asian plant bed and my pteridophye ptrail.

o

Hi folks,

here's what I am working at: "My little old house in the woods".

While the rest of my property gets enough sun, the house itself is in shade most of the day - nestled at the foot of a steep hill, huge (mature) ashes towering over it.

Since I can't take these trees down, 'cause they're keeping that hill in place, I chose to further extend that given theme.

So I planted even more trees (maple, dogwood, wild cherries and pines). I want the whole front yard covered in moss and ferns, growing right up to the doorsteps. Boston Ivy has wrapped up half of the house so far.

So I'm waiting for the day when my house will be called the 'witch cabin' :)

Rose

Besides that, roses are my passion.

o

Fairy tale with gnomes ,fairies, Angels,etc.
Felix
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Everyone,

can you please post some pictures of your gnome gardens? I am currently working on one, my son named it "Mushroom Kingdom". Would like some ideas from other mind-like gnome lovers.

Countrynest, love your bench and the gnome picking from behind.

Thanks!
~Natalie

o

• Posted by enart 5 ONTARIO (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 17, 07 at 4:16

you can make a lovely shade garden using different colors of white, You could use the groundcover 'sweet woodruff' spreads`each year. Also put in white "bleeding heart' gives some height. Add a white and green based Hosta, and some: "lily of the valley" georgeous perfume.
When the groundcover gets going and the lily of the valley which is a little taller then intersperse low growing Hosta and the larger bleeding hearts, you will have a very interesting show that will light up a dark corner and will grow every year.
Mrs Greenthumb

Here is a link that might be useful: home

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here