Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ASTILBES z5?

Posted by keilamarie z5 Mass (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 22:13

Hello,

Every place I see mentions these are for zone 4. Can these great plants work in zone 5? I have a fantastic spot for them!

Keilamarie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ASTILBES z5?

When a plant mentions a zone they will grow in, the number is the farthest zone north they can be planted safely. Since you are in zone 5 and astilbes will grow as far north as zone 4 you are safe. I am in zone 6 (Blue Ridge Mtns of southcentral PA) and they grow beautifully for me. I also grew astibles in zone 7 (South Carolina)

Enjoy
Karen

o
RE: ASTILBES z5?

Karen is absolutely right, you'll do just fine. But it seems I never see this mentioned about them - they love water. I have lived in 2 houses where they were planted under or near large trees and the only way to keep them looking nice was to water them practically every other day. Good luck! cin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here