Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Lilies for shade?????

flowersandthings
19 years ago

Has anyone tried growing lilies (lilium) in shade???? Which ones work best for you?????

Comments (15)

• marquest
    19 years ago

Asiatic, LA Hybrid and I have a stargazer at I am trying out it has been two yearsand so far they are all doing good.

• patsi
    19 years ago

Same here. But this was my 1st year and I planted the bulbs. They get 2 hours of sun and the rest all shade.

• perennial_woman
    19 years ago

I have lilies (lilium) in full shade under mature maple trees. I think they take a little longer to get established, and they bloom a little later, but otherwise are fine. I believe I have both Asiatic and Oriental, although I would be hard pressed to explain the difference. (Can anyone explain?)

• marquest
    19 years ago

Orientals usually bloom Late july-aug. and are fragrant. Most Asiatics bloom late may to June and are not fragrant.

The leaf structure are different on Asiatic than the Orientals.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

My woodland garden sees very little sun, and I haven't had any success with asiatic or oriental lilies, but tiger lilies bloom (though they lean toward the sun), and red surprise lilies do great even in pretty heavy shade.

• waplummer
    19 years ago

The native lilies - superbum et al do well.

• redwoodrose
    19 years ago

My asiatic ones did well for the first two springs I have been here (they came with the house, so I don't know how old they were. I do have to stake them, though. The tiger lilies did better, not so leggy.

Mine get 2 hours of direct sun, then bright shade for the rest (they are up against the house. I think they will do better under deciduous trees, so that the ground gets warmed in the spring.

• joyn_2008
    15 years ago

I have a huge pine and would love to have some lilies around it. What type of lily grows under pine trees in acidic soil with lots of shade? Is there such a flower?
    I would like them to grow tall around 24" - 36". If not a lily, is there any other type of flower?

• d_giffin
    15 years ago

What about something more exotic and unusual like toad lilies? There is a variegated variety with white and green leaves. I planted mine in clusters.

• arcy_gw
    15 years ago

I have toad lilies and they do GREAT! mine are purple with white dots. They bloom in the fall. I have day lilies in shade and tiger lilies in a part of my woodland garden that gets morning sun. They all bloom. My resurection lilies also do well.

• bluehydrangea
    15 years ago

Stargazer lilies do great in part-shade here (OK).

• d_giffin
    15 years ago

I thought that day lilies and asiatic lilies needed full sun. I would love to pop some color into my shade area, but it is pretty heavy shade. Do any of you that put these in shade areas have this amount of shade too?

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

My Stella d'oros do great in shade.

• debbiecz3
    15 years ago

Martagon lilies prefer to grow in a shady spot. I was interested in reading about the toad lilies; I just bought a couple today to try them. I think I heard that they prefer an acidic soil; is this true. I'm on prairie clay; definately not acidic! Anyway, will give them a try.

Sponsored