Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
changsong_gw

What to plant for a shade and moist/wet garden?

Changsong
19 years ago

After living in this house for 4 years, I finally get the nerve to plan on changing this part of our landscape.

It is right in front of our kitchen, facing east and getting morning sunlights. And the soil is definitely on the wet side. Currently there is a huge hydrangea on the corner which has got nasty and I wanted to remove and maybe plant a small one. The previous owner planted Houttuynia cordata as ground cover, and I really hate it. It smells so bad and is kind of invasive. There is a beautify bleeding heart plant which I intend to keep.

The whole area I have for replanting is about 4 by 7 feet. I'm think of hardy begonia and impatiens. Do you have any other suggestion?

Thank you very much for your insights.

Changsong

Comments (10)

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

For earliest spring bloom, you might want to fill the whole bed with anemone blanda and early daffodils or other bulbs that bloom in February/March.

When those fade, you could have spring ephemerals (including your bleeding heart), woodland phlox (phlox divaricata), Virginia bluebells (which love moist soil) trilliums, toothwort, etc. which will all disappear after they bloom, and then the impatiens will come up and bloom for the whole summer and fall.

Your soil is moist, but does it drain well? Trillium like moisture when they're blooming but like good drainage, so they wouldn't like a puddle. Daffodils also need well drained soil or their bulbs will get a fungus.

Alternatively, you could have ferns or hostas and impatients in the summer, and Virginia bluebells in the early spring before the others emerge. Or, if you go with shrubs, one of the creeping foamflowers will make a pretty evergreen groundcover.

I think hardy begonias would take over your bed, and you wouldn't have room for any other flowers.

Happy planning!

• Changsong
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Barbara for the great suggetion. Now need to google :) I also apologize I should have read the FAQ before posting the topic. Happy gardening everyone. Changsong

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Itea (virginia sweetspire), 'Henry's Garnet' is the best imho, Clethra (summersweet) 'Sixteen Candles' is my fav. Lobelia cardinalis will bloom in late summer and attract hummingbirds

• carex
    19 years ago

Chelone lyonii, Marshallia, any Lobelia, and Aquilegia are also good choices.
    WDE

• isabella__MA
    19 years ago

Yews, astillbe, heuchera, bleeding hearts, corydalis lutera, witch hazel, spiderwort, and foam flower have worked great for me.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

i really like barbaraga suggestions - excellent choices - i would add one more to the mix - cardinal flower - lobelia cardinalis... likes wet shade - and would bloom after the spring ephemerals are done...

• swifty_mcgee
    19 years ago

Lest we forget Monarda? They can take a lot of shade, just not really happy with dense allday shade. It blooms for a long period and smells good all year long if it doesn't hard frost too long. It can be a smidge invasive but is easily controlled.

• kdjoergensen
    19 years ago

Astilble, foam flower, and ferns. Don't forget ferns. They will do wonders here. Also hostas should do nicely.

• tesa001
    19 years ago

greetings, my cardinal flower didn't like my damp shade at all, and just died........maby he didn't like his new home, but i was sad........i bought several, and nurtured them, but they died........debating if i should buy them again this year..........the spot was a bit sunny in the afternoon, but very shady overall.......

• kwoods
    19 years ago

tesa001,

Maybe the heat got them? Afternoon sun can be a plant killer even here in zone 7.

Sponsored