Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colorfull flowers under a covered patio

Posted by peavley z8La. (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 9:33

Hello,
My wife and I were going to put a window box under a window which is located beneath a patio cover. There is no direct sunlight at this spot. Is there anything colorfull that we can plant in this thing?

Also I was wondering what are some small potted plants that I could put in my office which has no windows. Or is that a stupid question being that there are no windows?
Thank Yall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorfull flowers under a covered patio

You could check at your local nursery to see what they offer at this time of year as far as shade plants. Maybe begonias. Not sure about cyclamen; they might need some sun. Maybe impatiens.

As for your office, houseplants which do well in low light might work for that space. You could ask on the house plant forum for suggestions. Pothos seem to do well anywhere. I think having plants in the office, especially one without windows, is a great thing to do.

o

I don't grow these kinds of flowers but my parents have a very large covered deck and they grow impatiens, begonias, ferns, hostas and geraniums. Of course most of them are grown either hanging at the edge of the roof or on tables or shelves which sit 'near' the edge of the deck so they 'do' get some indirect sunlight but those are a few you could try. If you don't have tables or shelving don't spend a lot of money... have fun at yard sales, second hand stores and antique shops to see if you can find a good bargain that you can spray paint to your liking.

Barb

o

This time of the year we are very limited with options for shade,but you will find English Primroses,Cyclamen,and Violas.Mix these with colorful leaved ivy for your planter box and they will fill out nicely.
When Spring arrives you will have many other options,including Torenias,Impatiens,Coleus,and Begonias.

o

For the office, your best bet will be pothos as suggested, aglaonemas (aglos), and snake plant (sansevaria/mother in laws tongue)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here