Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_1

deep shade

michele_1
17 years ago

MS zone 7. One side of my house is in deep shade. If possible, I would like to plant some hollies there. I know they do best in full sun. Is there any holly that will grow well in deep shade?

I am at a loss as to what to plant on this side of the house. I have lots of azaleas already, and that's the only plant I can think of that would grow well there.

I would appreciate your suggestions! Not many everygreens like that much shade.

Comments (4)

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    17 years ago

You have azaleas that do well in deep shade? Do you have any that get some height to them? I would be quite interested as I'm looking for things to plant in pots around a fountain that I have. They'd be lucky to get 2 hours of morning sun there.

• michele_1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no trouble growing azaleas in semi-shade or deep shade here in MS. My problem is finding other plants that will do well in deep shade.

Also, shade / part-shade / full sun are real tricky designations where I live. If you put hydrangeas is part-shade here, they could very well burn to a crisp. I had to move mine back further in the shade.

All too often, part-shade should be labeled shade here and full sun, part-shade.
    Michele

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

This is a question I get asked often and the list of suitable plants - especially for a fairly mild climate, like zone 7 - is really quite extensive. A factor to keep in mind is whether this area is considered dry shade - a heavily shaded area that doesn't receive direct rainfall (under eaves or overhangs or within the dripline of large conifers) does complicate the issue and your selection declines unless you can provide consistent irrigation.

Broadleaf evergreen shrubs:
    Fatsia japonica - Japanese aralia
    Aucuba japonica - Japanese aucuba or laurel
    Leucothoe species
    Euonymus species
    Elaegnus species
    Nandina domestica - Heavenly bamboo
    Sarcococca species - Sweet Box
    Ilex crenata - Japanese holly
    Daphne laureola - Spurge laurel
    Mahonia aquifolium, repens - Oregon grape holly
    Skimmia japonica - Japanese skimmia
    Gaultheria shalon - Salal
    Gaultheria procumbens - Wintergreen
    NOTE: various other broadleaf evergreen flowering plants will often grow well in deep shade but flowering is sporadic or very light. Most flowering plants need some light sun or other brighter (reflected) light to produce flowers - that would include rhododendrons and azaleas, camellias, hydrangeas, etc.

And there are lots of perennials that are suited to deep shade - ferns, hostas, dicentra (bleeding heart), Iris foetidissima (Gladwyn iris), trilliums, Solomon's seal, tricyrtis (toadlilies), vinca, lamium, sweet woodruff, hardy ginger (among the groundcovers), Euphorbia robbiae, Geranium macrorrhizum, most native and exotic woodland plants, etc.

• michele_1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Your list is a big help. Gardening books don't talk a lot about shrubs in deep shade, usually it's part-shade.

I'll print out your list and keep it with my garden journal.

Thanks again for taking the time to give such a helpful thorough answer! Much appreciated.
    Michele

Sponsored