Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lathgirl

Full Shade Plants

lathgirl
17 years ago

I have a section in my yard that is in absolute full shade. Are there any perennial flowering plants that would do well here in zone 8? This is my first year gardening and I would welcome advice and or suggestions.

If you are thinning your flower beds and could spare some small plants I would sincerely appreciate receiving them.

I have several sun loving flower seeds to trade.

Thank you,

Lathgirl

Comments (7)

• gee_oh_nyc
    17 years ago

I would suggest Periwinkle, Forget-me-nots, Yellow Archangel, Lily-of-the-Valley and Coleus. In your area you might also do well with Calladiums.
    Happy Gardening
    George

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

I have been reading the Florida forum off and on for a couple of years. I would ask this question there just because they talk about plants for Florida that most of us have never grown or heard of. They seem like a great group of people too. You could also try Floridata.

I'll give you a few shade bloomers, but I don't know how any of them will do in Florida.
    Astilbe - early summer - needs moist shade
    brunnera - spring - might not take your heat, don't know
    Solomon's seal - again don't know about the heat
    hellebores orientalis - winter - you might have too much shade
    strawberry begonia - late spring
    cyclamen - either fall or winter
    chelone - early fall - you might have too much shade
    anemone - early fall
    columbine - early spring

Check these out with the Florida people and see if they'll flourish in your area. Good luck.

• JRDPA
    17 years ago

Hmm...I've always grown Periwinkle in the sun, even in the west sun when living in Texas. My begonias were in the sun here in PA Z6 as well.

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

I live in Central Florida but have lived further north. Try Polka dot plants (Hypothosis or something simiiar. They are great and reseed themselves here. Coleus and Caladiums as mentioned before. Impatiens and begonias are good, Crossandra is another that I recently put in.

• Vickie56
    17 years ago

I have varigated Soloman's Seal in my TEXAS flower bed. It has grown like crazy and multiplied nicely even during our 100 degree weather and drought.

I also have impatiens and begonias. The impatiens are beautiful in the spring and fall. During the summer tho, they start to look ragged. The begonias look great all season and take much less water. Some of mine have even returned in the spring!!

Another plant that I have and love is Autumn Fern. It is evergreen and you'll know why it's called Autumn Fern when you see the new fiddle heads unfurl in the spring. Also, it's drought tolerant once its established.

• garden4510
    17 years ago

Hi Lathgirl-
    You may have gotten all the answers you need, but here is some additional Florida-centric help: Deep shade is very difficult to have anything blooming well. The only thing I can think of is Clivia. It will be tender during your (rare) winter frosts, but should be safe with an evergreen or a roof overhang above. I would mix ferns with variegated plants. Christmas ferns would be good. Variegated Aspidistra would bring in a splash of white, and Variegated Ginger would bring in vertical stripes of bright yellow. One other thing that would work well are bromeliads. If they like where you put them they will continue making pups as the old ones always decline following their bloom. Before long you will have a nice-looking patch of them. Again, many will need a permanent overhead canopy of some type to survive your worst frosts.

• mikekoicarp
    17 years ago

Part of my garden is north facing behind a low walland is always damp. Astile and ferns grow well.Any ideas on what plants i could use apart from hosta
    Happy garderning Mike