Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lieslmcq_gw

What to do?

lieslmcq
15 years ago

I'm completely new to gardening and I have a bit of a pickle. We have an oddly shaped backyard with a detached garage and a storage shed, plus a covered patio and driveway. This is my quandary: We have a large area under a huge pecan tree that had grass but cannot sustain grass (I think?). The truth is, I neglected the yard after we first moved in, so that may be why the grass is gone in areas. It's almost complete shade, though there are some sun spots. We also have 4 dogs who play back there and the previous owners differentiated an area behind this grassy area for plants, trees and shrubs. What do I do with the area that once had grass and still has some spotty grass? I need something that won't make picking up dog poop hard and will sustain some rough dog play. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

How about cover the area in about 3 inches of mulch and forget about growing anything there? The pecan tree (which is priceless) is going to continue to provide a lot of root competition for whatever you plant and the dogs are rough on the area as you said. Seriously, I would not worry about growing anything there. The spotty grass will eventually finish dying out or you could spray it with herbicide before you mulch.

• lieslmcq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mulch would make picking up dog poop pretty difficult and pretty pricey since we'd invariably pick up the mulch, too.

• newbiehavinfun
    15 years ago

You could try moss, but it might horn in on your grass sections if they are also shaded.

• pandorasgardens
    15 years ago

My neighbor has a similar problem.... a very large pecan tree at one end of her yard and a black walnut at the other so she's in complete shade all day. She has mondo grass covering the area. It's not an ideal solution because it seems to have spreading tendencies (into my garden :) and you can tell the path that the dog uses, but there aren't many things that will grow in full shade under such large trees.

• lieslmcq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Newbie: Your name is exactly what I'm doing! Moss is an interesting idea, though. I saw some Irish moss at the nursery that I've been meaning to look up for hardiness. We're trying to only plant drought tolerant, native complimenting plants, if that makes sense. But I like that idea!

Pandora: Mondo grass is also an interesting idea! I have two patches that recently sprang up back there that I am sure I could propagate. I say that so confidently, having no idea how to do that. heh

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Irish moss, Sagina subulata, is not a moss at all, but a low growing, sun loving, flowering, mat-like groundcover. It is not drought tolerant. It needs sun and moist soils to thrive, which are unlikely to be present under the canopy of any tree.

This is a difficult situation to address with plants. Even mondo grass will not find this area very hospitable and will not stand up to dog or foot traffic very well. True mosses could work but generally require moist growing conditions and are difficult to establish with any kind of traffic, animal or human. You would need to keep the dogs out of this area for an extended period in order for mosses to "take" and if the dogs routinely relieve themselves in this area, the growth of the mosses wil be negatively affected as well. I agree with esh that a non-living solution is probably your best bet. Wood chips, which can be obtained for free from virtually any tree service, are a common product used in in dog runs and in the heavy trafficked areas of off-leash dog parks. It is extremely easy to clean up solid pet waste from this product. It will also reduce any mud that may generate from non-planted areas and rain. Wood chips also have the advantage of reducing any weed development in this area (although weeds too will have a difficult time establishing and spreading in dry, shady areas with a lot of dog activity) and they add valuable organic matter and nutrients to the soil as they slowly decompose.

A wood chip mulch - inexpensive and readily renewable - really offers the most viable solution to your situation.

• lieslmcq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardengal,

I've actually come to agree with the mulch idea, but my husband is steadfastly insisting we try to save the grass. I'm attaching an album with pictures of what it looked like before I neglected it. My neighbor tells me that the previous owner was constantly replacing sod. I am just at a loss, still!

Here is a link that might be useful: Backyard photos

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

The fact that the previous owner was continually replacing sod should tell you something!! Turf grasses are just not inclined to grow well in this type of situation - they prefer sun and evenly moist soils, which are unlikely to occur readily under the canopy of large trees. And there is also competition with the tree roots for nutrients......and the big guy usually wins :-) Your situation is further complicated by your pets. Even under the best of circumstances, 4 dogs romping and peeing and pooping will take a heavy toll on any lawn.

There is no reason at all you can't go the lawn route......provided you don't mind that the lawn will never look great (thick and lush) or you are willing to go to the trouble and expense of periodically replacing either by seed or sod. And both methods will require the dogs be restricted from this area for a period of time - 1-2 weeks for sod, longer for seed to germinate and establish (3-4 weeks).

• lieslmcq
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I absolutely agree. Now to attempt to convince my husband. Oy.

Sponsored