Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
List of Shade Plants and Flowers

Posted by Patsi z7nj (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 17, 03 at 20:04

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for shade plants here at this forum and I have found many to choose from, only I couldn't find where to buy them. I didn't want to get one plant here then one plant there because the shipping would be too high. So I've found four sources where I could fine almost all of the plants and flowers I like on the internet. You probably already know this but I thought I would share anyway.
I've dealt with two of these companies already and they are reputable (MichiganBlub and SpringHill).I'm not sure about the other two. Maybe someone at this forum has dealt with them and would let me know.

I made a wish-list of plants/flowers for my mostly shade garden beds that I'm preparing now.
I noted if it's other than partshade/shade also where to buy,their height and when they bloom since I just can't remember all that information.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Flowers/Plants for shade/part shade
(all are part to full shade unless noted)
(sun to shade=S-SH)
(full shade=FS)
(for company SpringHillNursery=(sh),MichiganBulb=(mb),PlantDelights=(pd),BigDipperFarm=(bd)
(for height,inch=in,foot=ft)

1-Astilbe~ (sh)(bd)(mb)20-40 in early-mid summer
2-Bleeding Hearts (sh)(bd)(mb)to 3 ft spring
3-Bugbane(cimicifuga/japonica)(bd) FS 4-6 ft late summer
4-Barrenwort(bd)ground cover9 in S-SH
5-Balloonflower S-SH (sh)18-24 in summer
6-Butterfly Bush S-SH (sh)(pd)6-8 ft mid summer-fall
7-Coleus annual 1-3 ft
8-Cyclamen(sh)(bd)4-6 in late summer-fall
9-Elephant Ears (sh)(mb)S-SH 3-6 ft
10-Foamflower (bd)(mb) 12 in mid spring
11-Fairy Lilies (mb)14 in summer
12-Ferns~FS (sh)(bd)(mb)(pd)
13-Hardy geraniums (mb)S-SH 12-18 in early summer
14-Hosta~(sh)(mb)(bd)
15-Hydrangea (sh)(bd)(mb)3-6 ft summer
16-Hellebore(sh)(bd)15-18 in late winter to spring
17-Lilly of the Valley(sp)(bd)(mb)6-12 in spring
18-Lugwort/Bethlehem sage(pulmonaria)(mb)(bd)FS 12 in ground cover 10-18 in early spring
19-Ligularia (bd)(mb)(pd) 3 ft mid-late summer
20-Pink Sundrops (mb)12-18 in spring
21-Sedium Creeping Red (mb) summer
22-Toad Lily S-SH(sh)(bd)18-24 in late summer to fall
23-Viola(bd)spring-summer pansy family

SpringHill and MichiganBulb have more shade flowers available.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: List of Shade Plants and Flowers

Many of these plants are available at home improvement/ nursery stores and nurseries. Are you not located near such stores that your only alternative is to mail order?

o

And sorry to report that Michigan Bulb is NOT considered a reputable mail order source for plants. If you have any questions, check the Garden Watchdog site which evaluates mail order nurseries - overwhelmingly negative responses.

If you are forced to use mail order there are far better sources than either Springhill or MB for these plants. The following nurseries feature a huge selection of shade lovers including many less common varieties.
Heronswood Nursery http://www.heronswood.com/
Plant Delights http://www.plantdelights.com/
Naylor Creek http://www.naylorcreek.com/

There are many others, but these are a few of my favorites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

o

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that you think Mi Bulb is a good company. People have been getting burned by them for years. You must have lucked out, but don't count on it happening again.

o

Patsi, I would hve to add my vote to stay away from Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill. I have not had good luck with Michigan Bulb at all, and Spring Hill, while they used to be good, has, in my opinion, gone way down hill.

The places gardengal48 listed are good, and another good nursery is BlueStone Perennials.

Try one of these nurseries, and I think you'll be happy. Have fun and good luck with your wonderful wish list!

:)
Dee

o

Wow!!

Thanks so much. Since I first posted I made some changes in my wish list which I guess is to be expected. Yes I do plan on getting plants/flowers locally which I prefer but of course there are some things you just can't find. It's been many years since I've dealt with MB and SH and boy am I glad you told me about their persent reputation.
Thanks for the input.

o

I live in Michigan and have ordered several times from Michigan Bulb and not ONE thing has even arrived alive let alone "come back" as the company kept telling me. Getting a refund was a joke. Never again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here