Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lg. Trees for shade garden

Posted by luchiaan 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 07 at 4:22

Need help selecting trees. I'm starting from scratch with an approx 60' X 75' open area, gently sloped from north to south. Current southern border is 4 Austrian pine (7' tall). One Autumn Blaze Maple (15') on eastern edge, one Yoshino Cherry (10') in NW corner. I'm looking for 2 lg. trees that -paired with smaller trees/lg shrubs- will provide good shade for a cool woodland atmosphere. Three sides (E,W,S) will be planted with either hedge, evergreen or latticed pergola walkway w/wisteria to keep down wind and winter damage. North edge is partially blocked by a building. Considered oak, but don't want acorns. Considered Sugar maple, but want to underplant. Already had bad experience with Ash and high winds. Any good lg. tree ideas for creating semi-dense shade with 10' space underneath in 20yrs or so? I'm willing to wait if it's the right tree. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lg. Trees for shade garden

If you don't like acorns, I presume you would not want hickory, beech or any other nut tree, although you are going to havea lot of pine cones and sammaras from the maple. There are some trees that are dioaceous (sp?). Find a male of the species and you won't get any fruit or nut production

o
RE: Lg. Trees for shade garden

Check the Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum
Small tree, when compared to some Oaks and Maples, but has outstanding fall color and spring flowers.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Sourwood Tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here