Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Little Gem" Southern Magnolia

Posted by flexwebber South Jersey (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 8:30

Going to plant two Little Gem Southern Magnolias in the backyard. Any tips, suggestions, comments? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Little Gem" Southern Magnolia

Very complete and interesting information given by Trees USA (linked below), a Texas wholesaler, which information seems to be in agreement with article from Florida U. Extension. Important to read down to the bottom, cultural requirements ... their root system is surprisingly extensive!

That being said, I have two magnolia grandiflora "Bracken's Brown Beauty" that I planted about five years ago without benefit of these instructions and they have established well and are doing very nicely with no pest or disease problems so far. They are growing Monmouth County in a sandy soil amended with compost and mulched with shredded oak leaves. Growing in full sun half the day, dappled shade the rest, they seem to require little supplemental watering now that they are established. Occasional judicious removal of some leaves here and there provides beautiful accents for floral arrangements and my Christmas wreath, without affecting the trees' appearance.

If they are right for the site, I think you will find these southern magnolias a wonderful addition to your landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia 'Little Gem'

o
RE: "Little Gem" Southern Magnolia

Thanks, that was a very good article. The site I'm going to plant them in has some clay soil and is a little wet. I'm planning on amending a lot of the soil with compost and adding some Hollytone since they seem to love acid soil. Good info about the root system....I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here