Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is beech that problematic for flowerbeds ?

Posted by northern_huntress z4 QC (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 11:47

I am transforming a woodland lot into a garden. There is some beeches, mostly young ones.

Larry Hodgson in Making the Most of Shade say beech forms a too dense a root mat.

Is it possible to grow something around beeches? Bulbs? Plants with shallow roots? Or is it better to simply cut these trees and replace them with friendlier ones?

Thank you

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is beech that problematic for flowerbeds ?

Beeches are notorious for having an extremely dense mat of roots just below the soil surface. That, combined with the ability of the greater quantity of these roots to hog soil mositure and nutrients away from other plants, does make it very difficult to establish plantings underneath. That these are young trees may be to your advantage. The roots system may not be as well developed yet nor as widespreading.

I'd research some plants suited for dry shade, which is what this situation boils down to. A good many woodlanders will fit into this category. I'd send you my listing, but my climate is quite different and I can grow things you can't. Shallow rooted perennials and the minor bulbs are good choices - avoid larger, shrubby plants unless you find while cultivating in this area that the roots are not yet as big a deal as imagined. Hardy cyclamen and epimediums are the classic underplantings for beech woods in the UK. But bigroot hardy geranium, squill, eranthus, Anemone nemerosa and various groundcovers should work as well. Perhaps even hellebores, which are quite drought tolerant once estabished.

Thinning out some of the beeches should help, too.

o

We have a beech in our yard-it's beautiful, & right now, the old leaves are still hanging on, faintly shrimp-colored.

I haven't been very successful in getting much to grow underneath-part of the problem is the soil level seems much lower there, almost a depression, & I don't want to add topsoil, in fear of harming the roots. There are wild violets, some lamium, a unkillable humongous heuchera, & that's it...

I've been too busy working on other parts of the yard to worry about this spot-I am very thankful for the beech, it's a lovely, mature tree...

o

Thank you gardengal and thistle for your comments and suggestions.

I finally opted to cut some of my beeches and keep others where there roots might be much less of a problem. Will certainly go for dry shade perrenials and bulbs around them.

Excuse-me for my lateness to react. I did not received the email notice of your postings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Shade Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here