Ninebark Varieties

ademink
17 years ago

So far I have:

Diablo

Dart's Gold

Summer Wine

Coppertina

Am I missing any? Love them, can't get enough! :)

Andrea

Comments (30)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

I believ there's one called 'Nugget', but it is supposed to be very similar to Darts Gold.

• anitamo
    17 years ago

There's one called "Center Glow."

Here is a link that might be useful: center glow

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm...nice! I am now wondering if I have Nugget or Dart's Gold. The tag just said Gold Ninebark - it is absolutely stunning. The color and form is truly breathtaking! I love the burgundys but my gold one is my definite favorite.

I like the look of this new Center Glow! I've not seen it anywhere...perhaps a new release..?

• perennial
    17 years ago

Physocarpus opulifolius "Luteus'
    golden leaves

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Andrea, did you find your golden ninebark locally? I've looked high and low for this and have had no luck whatsoever. I love ninebark also, currently just growing diabolo but I have 6! Like you, I can't get enough.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey girl!!! I can't remember where I got it (but yes, here in town). I'll check my receipts over the next few days and see if I can figure it out. Don't scream, but I got it for $9.97. LOL It is truly breathtaking...my favorite by far!

You should call Frady's, I'll bet they have it!

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

Shut up!!! Can't believe you got it for under 10 bucks! Where in the heck is Frady's?!

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WHAT? WHERE IS FRADY'S???

Girl, get OUT of the bubble of Millers and LIVE. lol

Ok, you need to get on Washington St. aka Hwy 40 and head toward Greenfield. It's about a mile or two past Meijer on the right side on Hwy 40. L-O-V-E it. Not as cool as Miller's in the tree division but excellent, excellent selection of shade and sun perennials that aren't your box store varieties!

ALSO, have you been to Avon Perennial Gardens?

BUT WAIT, there's more...lol...there is another place I went out on Bluff Road called Greg's Greenhouse or something really unoriginal like that. This place is HUGE and, again, killer selection big time!

Lastly, the Dammann's on the West side is a Super Nursery to beat all w/ every shrub, tree and perennial you could ever hope to find!

On Tuesday, my mom and found like 6 or more little nurseries all along Bluff Road and Hanna road. Very odd part of town w/ cheap and expensive all mixed together!

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

ROFL!!! For the record, I've only been to millers ONCE this yr.! You're killing me!!! DH tells me on a weekly basis "NO MORE PLANTS." Does it deter me? Of course not. Looks like I need to get in my car and explore Indiana, it would probably do me some good to get out of suburbia hell anyhoo. Thanks for clueing me in!

• devyani1964
    17 years ago

Just got Nugget, Summer Wine and Diabolo. Nugget is supposed to have smaller leaves than Dart's Gold and denser habit.

• chescobob
    17 years ago

When I first saw ninebark, I snubbed my nose at it. Then I noticed how graceful it was. The next Spring, my neighbor's Diablo was filled (and is now) with the cream flowers. Needless to say, me and my . . .

2 Diablos,
    2 Summer Wine, and
    1 Coppertina

. . . are getting along nicely. Now, If I can only find that golden fellow.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I still think I might have Dart's Gold because the color is out of this world....although the habit is wonderfully dense. Looks like it's much brighter limey than Nugget and mine is pure yellow lime..eeeeeeeeeee...love it!!! Want to touch it, juicylucy? LOL Covet! Covet! hehe

I've seen the gold ones online for 19.99.

• juicylucy
    17 years ago

I am gold w/envy :~)

• terryr
    17 years ago

There's also the native common ninebark, Physocarpus opulifolius.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    17 years ago

According to this article, Center Glow is scheduled for mass release in 2007. In the meantime, I will be looking for Coppertina.

I have Dart's Gold which is one of my favorite shrubs in my garden. It's spectacular when it leafs out in spring. This year I didn't cut it back so it could flower. It does green up by the end of summer but not to quickly.

I also have one that was labeled Variegated Diablo. When I bought it, it had green, white and burgandy some of the time. It reverted back to solid green within two years. This year I see some white (or it might be yellow, I have to check) again. To me, it looks like a virus. I tried it in sun and shade to see if I could get the variegation again but no luck. Maybe I'll try to get some seed from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renegade Gardener

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm...that link says that Summer Wine is a 2006 intro but I got it last year. Also, my 'Coppertina' looks *exactly* like 'Center Glow' and nothing like 'Coppertina'.

Wonder what's up????

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    17 years ago

I grew a bunch of Coppertina last year and was recently in the land of Bailey - Twin Cities, MN - and Center Glow was everywhere. I see no difference between the two. Proven Winners enhances their images of Coppertina to the point of ridiculous IMHO. But both should be good additions to our gardens and landscape.

• sheltieche
    17 years ago

I am getting somehwat confused. I got Summer wine at one place and have seen same label at another store also by Proven winners which looked much more alike to Diablo. My specimen has smaller reddish leaves and is not compact but rather straggly/well, it is 5 gal and about 3 feet/.
    How much leaves of Summer wine resemble Diablo?
    Because either my specimen or another store's is mislabeled.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I find that my SW has more pointy leaves that are larger.

My new growth on my SW looks just like Coppertina aka Center Glow.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! LOL

• devyani1964
    17 years ago

My SWs had smaller leaves than Diabolo when I got it. BUt now the new shoots have leaves that are about the same size as Diabolo but lighter in color (somewhat like the Center Glow). One SW is even getting one shoot with green leaves. Arghhh...

Nugget has gone from Limey green to a deeper chartreuse. Also leaves are bigger than when I got it.

• ademink
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Such a puzzling shrub w/ all of it's weird morhping. LOL Good thing ALL varieties are beautiful so even if you have the wrong one...you have the right one! :)

• luckyladyd
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Can anyone tell me whether the Coppertina is diciduous? Thanks!
    LL

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

It's been a few years, time to show your love for ninebark again! Anyone have pictures to share?

• brian_zn_5_ks
    14 years ago

Excellent idea, prairiegirl. These new selections have been out long enough now for gardeners to share their experiences.

I'd love to hear from midwest gardeners in particular. How troubling have you found powdery mildew to be? Does Summer Wine really stay as compact as advertised? Can anyone really tell the difference between Coppertina and Centerglow?

brian

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't had any issues w/ powdery mildew at all! My SW is not tall but holy COW it is dense and full! I'll try to get pics of mine.

I still have my original:
    Diabolo - tall and arching, gorgeous. i love her. dark foliage, flowers well and the bark is great.

Coppertina (yes, that's the one I had...not Center Glow...still hard to tell the difference though. perhaps if grown side by side...?) - incredible foliage...I think perhaps the prettiest in color. Shorter than Diabolo, about the same density.

Dart's Gold - tall and lanky, gold as all get-out. i think about trimming it but it's like a giant arch...kinda cool maybe..and i'm lazy lol

Summer Wine - the motherlode. this sucker is HUGE. this little twig o' mine turned into a VW of lush, gorgeous dark foliage - flowers like a monster. i have to say this one is the winner for being vigorous!

Also picked up Burgundy Star on scratch and dent for 4.50. She has been repotted and is waiting for me to
    put her in the ground (just have to get up the umption to dig up a sand cherry...UGH).

• ademink
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dart's Gold

{{gwi:252649}}

Coppertina

{{gwi:252650}}

Diabolo

{{gwi:252651}}

Diabolo & Coppertina

{{gwi:252653}}

Summer Wine (garden fork for scale)

{{gwi:252654}}

{{gwi:252655}}

{{gwi:252656}}

Ninebark Bullfrog - One of my garden buddies...just for fun. LOL

{{gwi:252658}}

• kari_flowers
    13 years ago

YOU GUYS ARE TOO FUNNY....
    I am a recent convert to the Ninebark following... this year putting in a Summer wine, and Centerglow.... Now i added a little Diablo and am hoping it grows and grows ........and finally found decent size Coppertina ( which I coudlnt in spring) and bought THREE of them! Ha , I want to put them along the edge of my yard for a hedge between the yard and the cornfield.... and here is my dilemma. I want to get 2 of the gold ones to set them off... which one should i get a Darts or Nugget? Wait a minute, maybe I need one of each!!!

• buddyrose
    13 years ago

I just bought my first ninebark: Coppertina. I had a spot in my garden where a Spruce died and I decided I wanted something that gives me either a red/wine/burgundy/orange leaf since my garden is mostly shades of green: yellow green, blue green etc.

I'm very curious to see if it grows more like a shrub or can be pruned like a Rose of Sharon to a tree. Reading this thread I'm happy with my choice because I was also considering a Burning Bush or a Chokeberry plant.

• conon
    13 years ago

Speaking of pruning to the shape of a Rose of Sharon...last spring, I dug up my 5 Diablos and potted them. I selected 3 of the longest stems and braided them together. I cut the remaining stems off at ground level and then limbed them up 6 feet. I planted them around the yard last fall and now I have trees with heads that are starting to fill out and look very impressive! They are excellent focal points around the yard and the winter interest with the braided peeling trunks is incredible!

• dbcrene70_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I just purchased 2 small ninebark Burgundy Star shrubs and know nothing about them. What caught my eye is the beautiful red foliage. The pictures show beautiful white flowers with purple leaves...how often does it bloom?
    Also, I live in northwestern, Pa. and the rabbits have a field day with my plants & shrubs every winter...will the critters munch on my new ninebarks or do I have to fence them in?