Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbakercity

need container vine suggestions

gbakercity
17 years ago

hey folks,

new guy here with nice spaces in the big city needs some help with variety. I have a set of small terraces at the rear of my apartment in Chicago--all different light levels--which I routinely plant each year. I've had spectacular results growing "rain-forest" like vines from sweet potatos planted in standard window boxes along the railings. This year I'd like to add a little variety to those boxes. Just wonderng if anyone has some suggestions for plants that can grow in such tight spaces, yet still produce a fuller and/or draping effect

Comments (7)

• wolfe15136
    17 years ago

Scarlet runner beans. Castor beans. Nasturtiums. All of these are annuals.

• ifraser25
    17 years ago

Wow, the choice is almost endless, but one I found quite recently that does surprisingly well in a large pot is Honeysuckle (Lonicera). There many different varieties and you can get that wonderful scent wherever you want it!

• girlndocs
    17 years ago

Thunbergia is easy to grow (so they say, trying it for the first time this year) and not too rampant.

Kristin

• garden_gonzo
    17 years ago

I also recommend Clematis. Although most of them are deciduous, they put on a great show. Check out www.clematis.org, the American Clematis Society site. There are hundreds of clematis that will do well in Chicago. I also have a web site, about smaller gardens for urban spaces with links and resources in the left nav bar, which are great free resources I've found from all over the Web. Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compact Garden

• alison
    16 years ago

Are you growing vines up, or trailing them down? Every year I get a lot of varigated vinca major and plant them in hanging baskets all around the porch. Pinch the heck out of them as soon as they get 5-6" tall, and pinch them back every other node for about 10" so they branch out exponentially. (They will easily grow 7-8' by the mid summer here in Central Ohio) It may be a common plant, but a whole curtain of them swaying in the breeze is really pretty -- and soothing. They will easily overwinter if you dig them in a garden bed on mulch them a bit over the winter. Nicely drought tolerant, too -- which is good if you're lazy about watering like I am!

I tried growing Dichondra "Emerald Falls" and "Silver Falls" from seed last year with no success. This year I think I'm going to break down and buy some -- too pretty!
    {{gwi:1256720}}

If you're looking for easy-care, exotic looking and you've got a bit of sun, one of the vines I love is Canary Creeper, Nasturtium peregrinum. Drop dead gorgeous, exotic flowers -- with all the notorius ease of nasturtiums. (Don't need a lot of water, thrives in the crappiest soil) If you're into that an extra benefit is tossing the flowers on salads for a little extra kick. In my experience the foliage doesn't form quite the solid curtain that regular nasturtiums do, but are pretty thick all the same.

If you're looking something a little more delicate, I've always gotten a lot of compliments on Cypress Vine, Ipomoea quamoclit. It's really easy to start once the temperatures warm up. I've never seen the plants for sale in any of the garden centers, so you'll probably be the only one growing it!
    {{gwi:1256722}}

• amyben
    16 years ago

Hyacinth bean; interesting foliage, gorgeous purple flowers on longish bracts followed by really big purple beans. Easy to germinate. I did, last week, and already have 12 plants.
    Moonflower vine. Really fragrant, huge white flowers that open in the evening as if by time-lapse photography.

• mutajen
    15 years ago

those are great pics! i'm trying some irene rosemary for a similar situation - much more flowering than regular rosemary, apparently. and canna lilies and black and blue salvia to stick up. will sweet peas drape down or just up?

Here is a link that might be useful: high country gardens irene rosemary

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz